Thread: Festool track, plastic strip peeling off....

Festool track, plastic strip peeling off....

I've got several lengths of track that I use with my Festool circular saw.
    That white plastic strip, on the edge, is starting to peel off of each of the tracks.
    Anyone cut much without the strips? Any problems in doing so?
    I've made several cuts without the strips now, and all seems fine.
    What can you folks tell me?

The strips on the underside? Those are multipurpose & I think (Festool thinks too) essential.

1) They provide the non skid aspect to your guide rails. Though I nearly always clamp the guides there are many who will tell you that these strips make the guide rails virtually non slip on most sheet goods.

2) The strip on the outside gives you the exact position of alignment of your saw cut to your cut line. I suppose you can remove all of the strips off the underside of your guide and wash off all the residue with acetone or the like - then just use the guide rails without but why? Just buy replacements strips from your Festool dealer and get the best use from your guide rails.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 06-05-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

He is talking about the anti-splinter strip at the cut edge. Those are a replacement item. Part number 495209 is 5 meter roll. They do eventually wear out but if they seem to be coming unglued from the aluminum you probably stored them somewhere really hot. I've learned to not store mine above the rafters in a non-insulated garage in SoCal with a south facing dark garage door.

A couple of times I've screwed up and chewed into them with my router. I just replace them (actually, move them outward first, and then when I run out of room replace them.)
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-06-2012 at 2:21 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    He is talking about the anti-splinter strip at the cut edge. Those are a replacement item. Part number 495209 is 5 meter roll. They do eventually wear out but if they seem to be coming unglued from the aluminum you probably stored them somewhere really hot. I've learned to not store mine above the rafters in a non-insulated garage in SoCal with a south facing dark garage door.
    Yup, sorry, he did say "the white plastic strip on the edge" - I got carried away. On my older guide rails the anti splinter strip is black like the anti-skid strips, and on the newer they are clear/white. I think of them as all part of the system. Point is - it is a replaceable part and serves a few very useful purposes.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

So, they are only to assist with alignment to my cut line?

They also keep splintering on plywood to a minimum. Zero clearance.

Rick Potter

They are essential to maintain the excellent cut quality that the system offers and can be replaced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I actually like to replace my anti splinter strips when they get a little nicked up. Keeps my alignment real right.