Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dewalt dw735 belts burning up?

dewalt dw735 belts burning up?

Is it me, or does the Dewalt dw735 planer tend to burn through belts?

I've had mine for almost a year, it has always been used with a byrd shelix head, and I've just had my 3rd belt burn up. I do a moderate amount of planing, and find 2 x 4s tend do be the culprit, but that may just be a coincidence.

Anyone who has changed a belt on these machines knows they're difficult to install, and expensive at ~$25 a pop. But beyond the task being annoying, it seems unnecessary and either a flaw in the original dw735 design, a flaw in the way the byrd head and dw735 work together, or a problem on my end in my particular model, the components, or how I'm installing the belts.

Had anyone experienced this issue?

This is probably a question for dewalt and byrd, but being the Friday after tgiving, i thought i'd throw it out to the creekers and see if anyone's had this problem... One thing I'm finding is that the pulley wheel has a little play even after tightening the nut and washer prior to installing the new belt...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've yet to have to replace a belt and I run the stock style knives.

Find out why the head moves. Are the bearings seated thoroughly?
    Make sure the pulleys are coplanar with a straight edge across them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I will bet you may find its due to the shelix head being in 100% contact with the material being planed as opposed to the stock head with straight knives. You know what dewalt is going to say.

We had this same planer with the stock head and literally planed thousands of board feet of lumber, much of it chestnut oak, and never had a problem.

Mark

I have a DW735 with a Shelix. No problems with this one. The head requires less hp than the stock one does.
    There is something else going on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Stock knives, one year old, about a thousand feet or so planed, no belt issues yet.

sounds like something is out of alignment to me

When you say "burn up", what is the result? Do the belts burn through the ribs? or does it burn sideways, removing a rib? I had no issues with my dw735 and a shelix head, I'd say an alignment issue if sideways burning or too heavy of a cut if its burning through the ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    Stock knives, one year old, about a thousand feet or so planed, no belt issues yet.
    Well, that spell of luck finally ran out! Burned one out tonight. And no one online including Dewalt has them in stock! Backordered for several weeks.

Is there an online direction on how to replace it? Got the old one out but can't seem to figure out how to apply the new one - once I can get it!

Jim

wow, I better order one now then....... I would like to say mine hasn't burned out yet, but don't want to jinx myself.

I would suggest that there are two tricks involved;

1) PM (Preventive Maintenance) is a great undertaking. Occasionally inspect, clean and adjust your machinery

2) Before the belt shreds itself, take it to an industrial power transmission supplier and have them match it up. Probably less expensive than a genuine DeWalt part that isn't made by DeWalt.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. On my limited hobby use schedule I inspect my machinery twice a year, and it coincides with the changes to daylight savings time. It's a good reminder as I'm also doing the fire extinguisher checks and smoke detector batteries.

It seems to me I had a problem installing the pulley when I put the Byrd in. Either the washer was supposed to go on the inside, or I had the pulley backwards.
    Make sure the head turns freely. Also, see that you have the bearings fully seated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    And no one online including Dewalt has them in stock! Backordered for several weeks.
    Jim
    Found a distributor in Mass who had 2. Bought them both and should be into the fixit mode on Tuesday.

I burned mine a couple of days ago. I also have a Shelix cutter head. I think it was definitely my fault................I just plain took too big a bite. The belt literally melted. Contacted Dewalt Service here in Oklahoma City and they ordered one.........but said it would be a week to get it. So I got on-line and ordered one "overnight air". Dewalt called today........two days later to say it was in. My on-line order will be here tomorrow! Oh well, now I'll have a back up. Anyway, I think the reason they burn up is because the cutters are always in contact with the wood and the machine never gets a "breather". I'll just be more careful in the future to not take such big bites. Now, to try and figure out the best way to install the darned thing!
    Chris

Er, uh, bad news. Just installed the belt. Was careful to make certain all the ribs were lined up and all ran smoothly. Ran the planer for about 15 minutes..........never taking more than 1/32" bite on a half inch wide piece..................and the belt melted!!!!!!!!! In fact, when I stopped the machine, I had to cut the belt and rip it off the spindle pulley. Something is definitely wrong here! I'll update when I figure it out. Thank God I've another belt coming tomorrow.

Oh, and I might add..........I'm aware this thread is old, but melted belts are still a problem.
    Last edited by Chris Christenberry; 06-05-2012 at 5:25 PM.
    Chris