Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dewalt dw735 belts burning up?

Among the other things that I would check is that the heads are turning freely and not binding in the bushings.

I had a problem with my DW733 with the same bushings. The shaft became stuck in the bushing and broke a chain drive pulley.

I have planed a lot of wood with mt DW735 without a problem and am using standard knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Christenberry View Post
    Something is definitely wrong here!
    Did you make sure the pulley is on right? It will turn hard if not. Does the head turn easily?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

3000 bd ft or more of QSWO and hard maple through my 735 on the original belt. I think you might have something else going on.

Jeff

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Did you make sure the pulley is on right? It will turn hard if not. Does the head turn easily?
    It's a brand new planer...............so I'm assuming the pulley is on correctly.
    Chris

Head is turning freely. I'm using the Shelix head so I don't think we are talking apples and apples.
    Chris

Are you using the original 3-knife head or Shelix?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Christenberry View Post
    Head is turning freely. I'm using the Shelix head so I don't think we are talking apples and apples.
    The reason I ask is because I had a problem when changing to the Shelix. Been a while, but it was either the pulley on wrong, or a bushing behind it was.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I'm going to tear into it today to try and figure it out. Have to admit, though, I'm tempted to take it to the service center and just have them install the new belt just so I know it's done correctly.
    Chris

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Not familiar with that particular machine, but it sounds like the bearings might be getting hot & seizing up. Those belts are not fragile, so it should take a lot to burn them up that quickly, but, if the motor spins up and the head resists going along for the ride .... you know the results.

Have you inspected or changed the bearings ??? Sometimes, they "feel" OK, but have gotten some crud in them that could create these problems.

Bought the machine (new) in December. Installed a Shelix head. Have run less than 200 square surface feet of material through it. Bearings spin like brand new ones. So I highly doubt the bearings are bad or "crudded up".
    Chris

Jesse - I have had my 735 for over 5 years and run hundreds of BF thru it with the same belt. But my cutter head is the stock one. The problem may be with your retrofit head causing more drag on the belt than the orig.

Jeff, I'm obviously not Jesse, but I'm sure the drag from the Shelix head is laboring the belt. I can't take more than 1/32" off per pass. I'm okay with that, but not okay with the melting belt problem.
    Chris