Thread: Maple stage

Maple stage

Heres a picture of a speaker box I built in June. I think it might be the largest speaker to date shown on Sawmill creek. Its Rock maple that I had to bend on a radius{work}.This project entailed 14 yards of speaker cloth

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Will,
    Tell us more! Drivers? Crossovers? Is that a folded horn? Amps?
    Who's it for??
    Beautiful Maple.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Wow - that's a speaker. Hmm, with 5 of those + sub for a surround system, how big a screen would we need ... ?

Answers to Tyler's questions would be interesting - details, details!

Nice job on the stage/speaker assembly. So, you gonna' give us a clue as to how many/what type of speakers reside behind that cloth?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Man you guys

I toil on bending and laminating rock maple, resaw with a minimax, use Dinos straightedge,sand with a festool,shoot with 2 diffent PC nail guns,mix my own wipe on poly and what questions do I get--How loud is that? Man I though you guys were woodworkers. Its a school theater for a VERY wealthy school district. Yes they have there own theater not to be confused with the auditorium that most of us had. I couldnt give you the particulars on the sound system except to say the lighting and sound bill was $476000.

William,

Happy New Year!

Perhaps you'd like to post a close-up or 2 of the woodworking aspect of the project which you're proud of. Frankly, you could have told me the wood you used was birch and there is nothing in the other photo that would have contracted you. Laminated strips of wood? The photo isn't close enough to show that. You could have used maple ply, kerfed the back and bent it around the curves - can't see a difference in the picture. I know you say it's lam maple, but I couldn't see it.

There's an irritated tone to your post, at least that's how I interpret it, and that's certainly not the intent of anyone's response. As a comment though, if you want people to see/appreciate the details of your work, post pics that show the details. From 1 large scale picture, it's a bit tough to get excited about things like custom-mixed poly, laminated maple or some of the other attention you put into the project when you can't see them.

Having said that, could we have asked about the woodworking details? Yes.

Just my opinion.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    William,

Happy New Year!

Perhaps you'd like to post a close-up or 2 of the woodworking aspect of the project which you're proud of. Frankly, you could have told me the wood you used was birch and there is nothing in the other photo that would have contracted you. Laminated strips of wood? The photo isn't close enough to show that. You could have used maple ply, kerfed the back and bent it around the curves - can't see a difference in the picture. I know you say it's lam maple, but I couldn't see it.

There's an irritated tone to your post, at least that's how I interpret it, and that's certainly not the intent of anyone's response. As a comment though, if you want people to see/appreciate the details of your work, post pics that show the details. From 1 large scale picture, it's a bit tough to get excited about things like custom-mixed poly, laminated maple or some of the other attention you put into the project when you can't see them.

Having said that, could we have asked about the woodworking details? Yes.

Just my opinion.

Rob
    Rob please accept my apology I was actually trying to be funny in the post. I guess a comedian Im not.Ill try and upload some close ups of the Stage/speaker cover combo

William, I knew you were joking and thought your post was funny. Those smiley faces, although quite corny, do wonders to help convey facial expressions that are lost when communicating online.

Does the school plan to do any further woodwork, like covering the cement blocks? They now look out of place next to your very nice stage.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    My fault I started this !!! Curious minds want to know ?????
    Lovely assistant????
    How about the finished decking of the stage??? Your department Will???
    Nice Web site.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-01-2005 at 2:27 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by William OConnell
    Rob please accept my apology I was actually trying to be funny in the post. I guess a comedian Im not.Ill try and upload some close ups of the Stage/speaker cover combo
    Hey - if you were just pulling our electronic leg and I didn't see it - the joke's on me.

Still, if you have closeups of the bent laminations and trim work, it would be nice to see.