Thread: Can anyone tell me what this is?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I got this from a place that went out of business. I think it is an alignment drum for an edge sander. I am not sure what brand/make it is, but it has a price tag of $395 on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Pacco edge/radius sander, co. has long been out of bus.
    From San Jose, CA.
    That looks like their hardware, their colors and knob stampings.
    They made fixed, one drum sanders and mine which accepts 5 different diameter drums on the idler side of the tool.
    They were sold through distributors during the 70's.

congratulations! You have a square-thingy, with an attached round thingy, with twirly handles

The question is, can you use it?
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

It's an idler pulley from a belt sander. The knob with the red spring adjusts tension, and the other adjusts tracking.

If that part is $395.00, imagine how much the complete machine costs.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    If that part is $395.00, imagine how much the complete machine costs.
    Bill
    I think I have a good idea now why they went out of business....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    congratulations! You have a square-thingy, with an attached round thingy, with twirly handles

The question is, can you use it?
    If someone asks a legitimate question, it deserves a legitimate answer. I can't believe how many times a question is asked in earnest, and all the graduates from the Acme Correspondence School of Comedy come out of the woodwork. (pun intended) There's nothing wrong with injecting humor into a response. But an irrelevent smart*** response reflects poorly on both the forum and its members.

I'm glad I kept my "industrial meat tenderizer" guess to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    If someone asks a legitimate question, it deserves a legitimate answer. I can't believe how many times a question is asked in earnest, and all the graduates from the Acme Correspondence School of Comedy come out of the woodwork. (pun intended) There's nothing wrong with injecting humor into a response. But an irrelevent smart*** response reflects poorly on both the forum and its members.
    I'm not a long-time member on this forum, but am on others. From what I've read on this thread compared to the usual tone of some other forums around, there's nothing to get upset about here.

There was another post by someone who shared Rob's sentiment but it was deleted. I just don't get it I guess. I don't see anyone being disrespectful in this thread. And yes, those who take offense here would probably go into shock in some of the other places I frequent from time to time.