Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Line Install: It Pays to Call Around

Gas Line Install: It Pays to Call Around

I just bought a gas range which required a gas line to be installed in my kitchen. I wanted to share my experience in case others might find it helpful.

This install is about as simple as it gets. The main gas line runs right under my kitchen and is very easily accessible from my unfinished basement. So, it required about fifteen feet of pipe, if that, across the basement ceiling and then up into the kitchen. I considered doing it myself, but I wanted to be in full compliance with local codes which can be complex and non-intuitive. Also, I don't know anything about gas lines.

A coworker recommended a contractor for whom his neighbor works. I called them and learned they would do a free estimate. I scheduled it for a time when Mrs. Pat would be home as I was headed out of town for business. The rep arrived an hour past the time he said he would arrive, but was friendly and professional. He took a look and said he would email an estimate.

When I got the estimate, I was somewhat shocked. Although it included the price of the permit, I couldn't imagine how such a simple job could be so expensive. And the estimate wasn't itemized.

I remembered talking to someone who said, based on his experience, the larger the ad in the Yellow Pages, the more expensive the plumber. Sure enough, the plumber who gave me an estimate had a full, one-page ad.

Back from travel, this past Monday morning I decided to call plumbers who had the smallest ads in the Yellow Pages. A few were just too busy. (I guess plumbing is recession-proof.) One wanted $130 just to take a look; and this did not apply to cost of the job. A few had voice mail indicating they were out for Thanksgiving, which is understandable. Some just said, "$130 an hour, how ever long it takes".

Then I called a plumber which listed only the name and number; no ad whatsoever. I spoke to a very nice and very helpful young lady who said she would call her crew to see when they could come by to take a look at the job. She said they could not give an estimate, but it would be $80 an hour plus the permit fee, which seemed reasonable. I half expected to never hear back, but sure enough, she called me back twenty-minutes later and said she would have a rep at my house at 2:00. He arrived a few minutes before 2:00, took a look and said, "Boy, I'm not used to jobs being this simple". He said he would be back Wednesday morning, between 7:00 and 7:30 to do the job.

The same guy arrived at 7:04 this morning. He replaced an elbow with a T-fitting where the gas line entered my house from the meter. Then he connected a flex line over to the wall and up where the range sits. He installed a fitting with a pressure gauge and a valve stem then pumped it up to 10psi with a bicycle pump. All in all, it took him just over an hour and that included re-lighting my water heater.

He asked me to call his office when the inspector arrived today and he would then come back to install the range and connect it. He presented a bill which was $300 less than the first estimate I received. I guess that theory about small ads is playing out.

A few minutes ago, the same nice young lady I spoke to initially called to let me know the inspector should be at my house between 2:00 and 4:00 and she asked him to call me when he was thirty-minutes out. (I think I'd like to buy this young lady a nice lunch.)

So, if all goes well, I'll have my new range up and running just in time for Thanksgiving. And I think I found a very good, reasonably priced plumber for any future work at my house. And it paid to call around.

Blog Entries
    We can learn life's simple lessons everyday.

Thanks for posting this.

In my situation, we do not have gas service.

We just had a tank installed for our green house heater. The installer is also the owner of the gas supply company. He looked at my work and said it was some of the neatest work he has seen. He set down the tank,did the connections and the testing. They have a few little hick-ups. When we went to the office to pay the bill, I asked about all the charges from the state, city and county. The billing person noticed that my address was outside the city so some of the charges did not apply to me. She redid the billing and gave me the new lower cost bill. We paid and left.

Well, then there is all the "automatic" billing that came in the mail. I noticed the date on the first one was from before we paid in person and figured I would just set it aside and call the next day. In the next week, I kept forgetting to call and we kept getting corrected bills. The last one was at $0.00 so I have not bothered to call.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had a very similar installation to do when I built my house. Mine was to hook a propane tank to my new stove. A very simple setup. I could not believe how much plumbers wanted to charge me to do this or how far apart the estimates were. I finally did it myself for about $50. My house is still intact and we have had no trouble with it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I did my gas line for propane at my old home myself, but subcontracted the natural gas line for our range here when I did the kitchen in 2003. While it's not extraordinarily hard work, I felt more peace of mind having a pro deal with the gas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I did my gas line for propane at my old home myself, but subcontracted the natural gas line for our range here when I did the kitchen in 2003. While it's not extraordinarily hard work, I felt more peace of mind having a pro deal with the gas.
    I felt the same way, Jim. While I'm typically a die hard do-it-yourself guy, I know nothing about gas lines. The contractor did some little things I would not have known about; flanges, hangers, ground lines, etc.

And the new range rocks!

As a gas service provider I can tell you that your stories are very familiar. I talk to people every day who have been ripped off by the larger companies that do a lot of advertising. One trick I have found for finding the better, more reasonable plumbers, HVAC, and electricians is to ask some of the people in the area who own multiple rental properties, they have already vetted out the area and know who they can trust. I have one landlord in my area who has upwards of 40 houses and she provides the tenants with a list of her contractors and tells them to not call her, just call from the list and they will bill her. I have found that the tradesmen on her list are the most reliable and reasonable in the area, of course it doesn't hurt to remind them where the referral came from.

Pat,

It sure does pay to call around and sometimes look at alternative sources.

3 houses including mine were built by the same contractor off the same basic floor plan but mirror imaged. The houses were built one at a time so there is 6 months to a year difference in their ages.

One neighbor had to replace his galvanized fresh water lines and had it done in copper. Cost....nearly $6,000. He used a plumbing contractor.

The neighbor on the other side of me, same house and "run" of copper got it installed for around $2,500.

The 2nd guy got an estimate from a sprinkler contractor. This contractor did the ditching and installed everything and then paid a licensed plumber to make the final connections to meet code.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We needed 45' of gas line installed for our fireplace a little over a year ago. I got 4 estimates, which all shocked me. I ended up doing it myself for 1/4 the cost, and gave one of the contractors $50 to check for leaks. Installing pipe is a bit of work, but not complicated. We had no trouble spending the savings on Christmas presents!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    We needed 45' of gas line installed for our fireplace a little over a year ago. I got 4 estimates, which all shocked me. I ended up doing it myself for 1/4 the cost, and gave one of the contractors $50 to check for leaks. Installing pipe is a bit of work, but not complicated. We had no trouble spending the savings on Christmas presents!
    I can't imagine what it would cost hiring a contractor to install 45' of gas line. In that case, I'd probably do it myself as well.

I'm a bit paranoid about codes from the experience I had selling my house in Virginia. It was a older home; built in 1949. One of the previous owners had done some renovations and additions. When I went to sell the house, an inspector found numerous code violations I had to fix. I had missing junction boxes in the attic. I had to install a window. And the contractor I hired to install a new HVAC system double tapped my fuse box! I had to hire an electrician to install a new breaker panel. Cha-ching! (Yes, shame on me for not inspecting his work more closely.)

So, whenever I do something to my house, I'm always afraid I'll get spanked by codes when I go to sell it.

10. Only a foolish man does DIY with something like gas, been in the business for over thiry years nows and have seen far to many times a DIY'r has done a improper job, and some of them were darn right dangerous.

Does pay to shop around and get referrals though.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Willits View Post
    Only a foolish man does DIY with something like gas, been in the business for over thiry years nows and have seen far to many times a DIY'r has done a improper job, and some of them were darn right dangerous.

Al
    Well, let's be real, Allen. No doubt you've seen some professionals do an improper job as well. As in the case of my new HVAC system back in Virginia, I'd have been better off had I wired it myself.

I think we must carefully consider what we can handle and what we cannot. In my case, I wasn't comfortable installing the gas line. But I wouldn't criticize someone who did it him himself and did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Willits View Post
    Only a foolish man does DIY with something like gas, been in the business for over thiry years nows and have seen far to many times a DIY'r has done a improper job, and some of them were darn right dangerous.

Al
    And I have never seen a contractor do a bad job. <Sarcastic Off>

I do electrical but I have been working in electronics for 40 years. I also use higher grade materials than most electrical contractor will spec if bidding a job. I have electrical manuals for reference and I speak with the electrical inspector or local electricians if I'm in doubt. At work, we hire electricians but because of our relationship, they won't hesitate to give me advice free.

I don't even think about doing gas. I remember coming home one November evening late from a day spent at an uncle's house. We had slaughtered and butchered 3 hogs that day. Earlier my Dad had driven our hogs out of the hog lot into temporary fencing at our garage. The truck from the sale barn was going to pick them up early the next morning. We separated one out, loaded it into my uncle's truck. At his farm we slaughtered and butchered 3 hogs. After supper, we came home. We drove by our nearly burned down home once, thinking it was a neighbor. When we got to the little church east of us we knew the truth. We drove back and I watched my 6'2" 235 lb. tough father lean across the hood of the car and sob. We lost everything in the fire. A trucker driving by on US 50 had stopped, kicked the door in to make sure nobody was at home. When he got the door open, the initial fire was around the propane/butane? heater in the livingroom. The hogs that were in temporary fencing by the garage died of heat exposure. The fire managed to get to the chicken house. We lost all of them. Mom and Dad didn't have insurance. Dad was drilling on oil rigs and farming too. Mom was trying to ride herd on 6 kids. Mom and Dad never recovered financially.

I don't do gas. I hire pros.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    And I have never seen a contractor do a bad job. <Sarcastic Off>

No, but when the contractor blows your house up, you can at least go after someone.

There's an old saying that if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't do it, it holds true in this field, whether you believe it or not.

And yes I have seen Pro's do a poor job, but no where near as much as what the DIY'ers have done.
    And for the most part, no where as stupid either.

Al

I'm not suggesting anyone do their own gas or electric work if they aren't comfortable or somewhat knowledgeable, BUT I suspect more folks are concerned about blowing up their houses than burning them down. If you screw up a NG fitting you know pretty much right away (smell) whereas an electrical screw-up may not become apparent until it's too late. I would guess many of you who are handy could do most gas hook-ups without problem. Of course codes, inspections, et.al. need to be addressed, too.