Thread: Intertherm, The Hot One heater....

Intertherm, The Hot One heater....

Picked up an older 220V Intertherm "The Hot One" heater on C/L and while it works very well in warming my garage, I think there might be a issue with the rheostat switch. It has a large white dot which I assumed is the off position and numbers #1-5 for heat selections as you turn the knob to the right. The problem is the unit will come on with heat in what I feel is the off position........ There is also a knob to the right marked "Auto" & On. I have kept it in the auto position. Is there any one w/ this same heater who knows the correct function of the heater? I believe this heater is presently sold as a "Cadet" unit although with somewhat different knob operation. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-28-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    the on/auto switch should be for continuous operation (on) and the auto allows for it to cycle according to its thermostat.

As for the presence of heat in the off position... cannot say. I have 2 of these units in my gar/shop and havent had any problems. Although I do un-plug them when they are not in use... not crazy about them having a light on when the switch is in the off position. Worked too hard to get my shop where it is to lose it.

Brent,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand the function of Auto/On switch, it's the thermostat switch and running in what I felt was the off position which concerns me. I'm going to try to contact Intertherm although not sure if parts or schematics are available for a 25 year old machine.

Thanks,
    Mac

As a follow up;
    After some research I've discovered the thermostat switch doesn't really have an "Off" position as the unit will still fire up if room temperature drops below threshold of lowest setting. Since I'm heating a garage base shop, this isn't acceptable. I don't care for the idea of constantly plugging & un-plugging a 220V appliance and perhaps forgetting to do so, I plan on installing a 220V rated switch upstream of the outlet to control things.

Mac