Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boots....a long term test

The Red Wing Boots made in China are called "Worx". I just paid the extra $60 to buy American made Red Wing boots instead of their Worx sub-brand. I did it for the "made in America" and because it was regular Red Wings that got such great reviews here. I can't report on longevity, but I will say that I got through some heavy outdoor work without the foot pain that I had before.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Just FYI: I didn't mean to make it seem like no one makes a decent boot anymore. I was more just posting that I was very pleasantly surprised at the high quality I got from what I considered to be a "throwaway" boot. Really great value.

re: danders
    I had a pair of those. They fell apart on me too. It must have something to do with the shape of my foot. It's not terribly large (10 1/2 EEE) but I demolish everything I wear except for a handful of brands and styles that I've learned to stick to over the years.

LL Bean still make a boot in Maine.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179?from=SR&feat=sr

A few years ago I got a pair of boots from TSC. They were Georgia boot brand. They held up well and were USA made but know not all that brand are made here. They were only like $60 at the time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If you want a good boot try White's Boots- ask any one who in the west on fire crews, cowboys, etc. They are still handmade in Spokane, WA and they will last forever. I own a pair of what is classified as loggers...they are work boots so nothing pretty but I have hiked miles in my Whites. The company will also rebuild them for you at about 1/2 the price of new (new soles, welts, etc.) Unless you totally trash them you can get about 2 rebuilds before you need to replace them but you won't find a better boot. I got mine for Christmas about 10 years ago and still have not had to rebuild them. And, no I am not into sales for Whites....
    ULS X-660, 60 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Coreldraw x4
    & A very handy & creative LOML

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Gill View Post
    If you want a good boot try White's Boots- ask any one who in the west on fire crews, cowboys, etc. They are still handmade in Spokane, WA and they will last forever. I own a pair of what is classified as loggers...they are work boots so nothing pretty but I have hiked miles in my Whites. The company will also rebuild them for you at about 1/2 the price of new (new soles, welts, etc.) Unless you totally trash them you can get about 2 rebuilds before you need to replace them but you won't find a better boot. I got mine for Christmas about 10 years ago and still have not had to rebuild them. And, no I am not into sales for Whites....

I thought Red Wings were expensive.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Oh they are a little spendy but when you factor in the years of use it really isn't that bad and they are so comfortable on top of the quality. They actually have a less expensive line of boots called Hathorn's - the difference is slight (mostly stitching and actual build) but they are a good boot also.
    ULS X-660, 60 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Coreldraw x4
    & A very handy & creative LOML

Another White's customer

I've worn White's logger/smokejumpers for 30 years. I have one pair that's older than my 21-year-old-daughter (they're almost 28 years old). My main pair has been re-built twice. I'm an engineer who rappels off of dams, cliffs, etc. dealing with rockfall and slope stabilization, and I wouldn't wear anything but White's for what I do. (I started out using Redwings, but I'd wear out a pair in 6 months.) I think a new pair of 10-inch smokejumpers is about $475.00 a copy, but man are they worth it.

The one caveat (I bet Connie agrees) is that the first time you put on a new pair (or a rebuilt pair), they'll hurt like heck for a week or so, bu t then they fit well and will LAST.

I've been wearing Caterpillar boots for probably a dozen years or so now. For about $60-70, I get a pretty comfortable pair of leather (faux?), steel-toed boots that last me at least 3 years getting worn 6 days a week normally. I replace them when the (pretty thick) treads wear out. I don't think I'd want boots with treads that last longer, either, because that would mean a harder rubber compound with less grip.

My painter colleagues always give me a funny look when they realize I wear a heavy boot, but I'm also not as quick to complain about standing on a ladder all day as they are in their white tennis shoes.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Even more fun than trying to get good boots is to get good boots that are only black.

I have settled on Danner Arcadia's and the Belleville Military boots.

I have two pair of the Arcadia's that are on their second set of soles each and one is due for another. The Danner's had a rough break in week but they have been stellar after that.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thumbs up Whites

Greetings all,

I work at White's Boots. I can vouch for their quality, durability, ruggedness, and longevity. I would be glad to answer any footwear questions for fellow Creekers.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

Cheers, Rory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers, Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Brant View Post
    Sorry to say, not true anymore either. Most of their lower end models, and some of their higher end models are now made overseas. I bought mine last Feb for work (8" insulated waterproof steeltoe) and they are made in China. According to the store rep, this has been ongoing for a few years, although they claim that they are made to the same quality standard requirements as when they were made in the US.

I've also got a pair of Danner Canadians that I use when hunting, still made in the US. If you go to the Danner webpage, go to boots, under Features you can sort by Made in the US. Seems that they have a few longtime standards still made here, then everything they can sell to the military (military buys US only when possible).
    They sold out the "Irish Setter" name, and those are all Chinese crap. They did not continue to make them the same way, for example the boots I have worn ever came up with a new seam at mid sole.

But.... I wandered into a real boot store in Jackson Michigan and found that although they are no longer called "Irish Setters" the same boot is still made in the USA, with just the Red Wing name. They are the same quality as before, and are now up to $200. I wear out a pair a year working, so that works out to about .25 cents a day with one resoling. I am worth that much to be comfortable and safe. I use the ones with the flat white soles that wear fast but provide great traction for my work conditions. Worth the tradeoff.

My brother uses Wolverines that are made in Michigan. He too lives in boots and gets about a year out of a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Wow, you could put a motor on the back of those and go bass fishing!
    Not necessary, I just stand there on the waters surface and fish, or ski if it is a big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    The Red Wing Boots made in China are called "Worx". I just paid the extra $60 to buy American made Red Wing boots instead of their Worx sub-brand. I did it for the "made in America" and because it was regular Red Wings that got such great reviews here. I can't report on longevity, but I will say that I got through some heavy outdoor work without the foot pain that I had before.
    I saw the Worx models, and they were made with lighter construction that were not resolable, although seemed to be ok other than that. The Chinese Red Wings I bought were not 'Worx' branded though. They were just under $200 if I remember right, and were sold as Red Wing. I realize there's a stigma over being made in China, but I could try them on in a store and I can't say that I've had a single problem with them in 10 months of daily wear. I really wanted to buy Danner's based on how much I like my hunting boots, but didn't want to play the exchange game to find steel toe boots that fit by mail order. In either case, the Danners that met my criteria (waterproof, 8" boots, brown) were all imported as well.