Thread: My shop space is doubling, is there a catch? *long*

My shop space is doubling, is there a catch? *long*

This year I finished half my 24'x55' basement for the kids, leaving half the remaining for my shop and half for my wifes garden/craft stuff. This area is divided in half by a partition wall.So with the basement remodel our half is a mess and this weekend is basically clean-up time. I have been trying for over a year to find a way to budge her garden stuff out to the garage, but I knew better than to even say it outloud. Well last night I said half joking...what would you say if I took that wall down to give me more flexibilty in laying out the shop.( Notice the Dr. Phil lingo, whith NO mention of moving her out..she LOVES that show)...well she said...sure no problem and then as long as you give me a small space to work at i will box all my garden/craft stuff up and move it out to the garage.....and this conversation happend 5 minutes after she said..."$270 bucks for a bew motor for the jointer I just bought seems cheap to me." This was after I answered her "How much did the new motor end up costing?"...in which I responded with my Dr. Phil lingo....Don't ask..it cost me more than i was hoping to spend and I'm kind of bummed out a little.... "

So my question is....should I be concerned as to what might be coming up in the near future, because this person is not sounding like my wife

Well i have a wall to tear down, before she gets back from the store....

Here are some lousy pics of
    1. finshed (except ceiling)
    2. gutted current shop
    3. extra space I will inherit
    4. overall shot of the mess that will become my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Morton; 12-31-2004 at 12:47 PM.

I have to start watching that Dr. Phil! At this rate you may be able to take over the entire basement and start creeping into the garage! "Don't ask..it cost me more than i was hoping to spend and I'm kind of bummed out a little", that is brilliant and is definately going into my arsenal.

Tim -

Good effort getting that wall out. She said, "Jump" And you asked, "How high?" - on the way up!

Congrats on the additional space.

Ted

I think you have a winner there, Tim! (Nice birthday present, too...a bigger shop!) I do think you should continue the magenta paint into the woodworking area, too, for a little pinaché...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

do think you should continue the magenta paint .........blah blah blah....
    Thats what happens when you let your kids have control over the paint colors

By tomrrow the whole shop will be empty and I can start to think about where to "mark my territory". Already she is saying...lets put all the paint cans THERE....and I'm hearing.... blah blah blah.....(sounds alot like jim making fun of the paint color). I think its time to suggest she take the girls to the mall tomorrow and let me try and come up with a plan

But all in all i can't complain!!!

Hmmmm....I'm starting to see new end tables, coffee table, maybe a nice ET, bedroom sets for the kids and such. Oh, and that nice custom made sewing station. Yup, the writing is on the wall, Tim! Good for you! If she does spring a bunch of new projects on you, at least you'll have a nice work area to do them in! Congrats.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jason S Guest
    Tim have you thought about maybe another Dr. Phil here. You could put and assembly/finishing table in there and leave the wall up. Use the space for wood storage outside the major area of your shop and have the benifit of a dust free finishing area.

The Dr. Phil reference is go ahead and let her put some paint cans and finishing stuff in there. It is what I did when I set up a craft space for my wife with a little table and room foe her to paint. It is actually my finishing area. Win-Win.
    Last edited by Jason S; 12-31-2004 at 10:45 PM. Reason: To finish explaining

It's one of the many things I like about woodworking. I know we kidd about getting new tools by using the excuse of what we're going to build for our families. But there really is truth in that. It's a hobby that the results can truely be a benifit and/or gift for someone else.