Thread: Delta Air Cleaner

Delta Air Cleaner

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I am considering purchase of a Delta Model 50-875 air cleaner for my shop. I would appreciate any comments or reviews on this item. Thanks, in advance.

I think Fine Woodworking did a review recently

FWW #213-it's rated as a good unit, with a flow indicator to let you know the filters state of health/ level of clogging. I've seen that Delta unit that FWW reviewed in person when I was looking to buy a filter unit for my basement shop, it's noisier than the Jet and the JDS units of the same size, but for the right shop where it's not mounted too close to a person due to low ceilings, it's still a good buy in my mind. Wood Magazine also did a review about all of them a few years ago. Try to check how the filters are removed for cleaning as part of your decision process. Some are much easier than others. I was surprised to see the Powermatic unit get dinged because the grill is supposedly hard to remove to access the filters.
    My local wood supplier runs the Delta unit, they've had good success with it , but it is noisier on medium and high than others. They put up with that since they like the mounted filter flow gauge, which allows them to keep an eye on it while just walking by in the store.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 11-30-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: article # found plus add-on info

Thanks, Callan. I'll likely decide in next day or so, assuming the price remains at $299 (half price). Seems like a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Thanks, Callan. I'll likely decide in next day or so, assuming the price remains at $299 (half price). Seems like a good deal.
    Wow, I've never seen it that cheap before. You could buy one, still decide it wasn't for you and probably resell it quick without taking much loss on it from a regular full price stand point.

Just FYI, Amazon's everyday price is generally ~$350, so $299 is a good price but not half price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miltner View Post
    Just FYI, Amazon's everyday price is generally ~$350, so $299 is a good price but not half price.
    Bill, I think I know where the OP got his pricing from. Woodworker.Com[aka Woodworkers Supply] has a "regular" price of $600 listed ,with the Delta unit now at $299 on sale at their site. So, since Amazon sells it according to your price of about $350, and Woodcraft is listing it at $430, it seems like Woodworkers Supply was WAY high to begin with[] It DOES pay to shop around...

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    Bill, I think I know where the OP got his pricing from. Woodworker.Com[aka Woodworkers Supply] has a "regular" price of $600 listed ,with the Delta unit now at $299 on sale at their site. So, since Amazon sells it according to your price of about $350, and Woodcraft is listing it at $430, it seems like Woodworkers Supply was WAY high to begin with[] It DOES pay to shop around...
    I haven't checked what WWS had been previously pricing them for, but I highly doubt they were pricing them @ $600, with street pricing from 30% to 40% below that, but were just using an old marketing gimmick, ie; showing a sale price of 50% of MSRP, (in lieu of maybe 20% or less off of street pricing".

You're right that it "does" pay to shop around though.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Bob
    I have the delta 50-868 and older model it appears to be the same it has been a good unit the one thing i would say about it is the fillters are an odd size avalible only from delta as far as i know [ probbily all the manufactures of these units want to sell you fillters]the primary fillter is 11 1/2 x23 3/4 the outer fillter is the one that clogs fast and needs more frequent replacement i made an adapter to use a standard furnace fillter avalible cheap at the borg. I would buy it again the inter fillter has not needed replacement after 5 or so years i just clean it
    lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    I haven't checked what WWS had been previously pricing them for, but I highly doubt they were pricing them @ $600, with street pricing from 30% to 40% below that, but were just using an old marketing gimmick, ie; showing a sale price of 50% of MSRP, (in lieu of maybe 20% or less off of street pricing".

You're right that it "does" pay to shop around though.
    They have the $600 price in above the "sale" price of $299. I have no idea if that's what they were charging for the Delta's previously[I doubt it, but you never know unless you look at their site often]. It's misleading at best if the $600 was a suggested retail "list" price, and they never hit that high in day to day pricing. But look at the web page for yourself to see how they've listed it. It's probably just as you described,

Callan, Bill, Norman, & Lawrence,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, Woodworker Supply is the supplier making the offer. I wasn't trying to claim any accuracy concerning the claimed "half-price" thing. Frankly, I ignore that advertising gimmick and look at the bottom line price. In this case, I thought $299 is a good price, regardless of any claim of "so much off." So, I pulled the trigger this am. Thanks, again.