Thread: metric router bits

metric router bits

Can anyone recommend a source for metric router bits? I have some 5.2 mm plywood for drawer bottoms and need to make the slots. No local source (Santa Rosa, CA) seems to be able to supply the appropriate bit.

Thanks.

Art Hofmann

I doubt you'll find a 5.2mm bit but a 7/32 (~5.5mm) should do the trick. You can order one on Amazon. If you want to try tighter you can go 13/64 (5.15mm)

+1 on the 7/32" bit 5.2 mm sounds like it would be an odd ball size and hard to locate.

Before you search high and low for a specific bit, have you measured the plywood? Plywood is often not the nominal thickness.

I keep a selection of readily-available bits, and make two passes when I need some oddball size. This approach also accommodates plywood sheets that aren't the nominal size.

CMT bits from Italy are generally all inch sizes when imported. But if you can get your hands on the large CMT catalog it lists numerous metric sizes. Online, Hartville Tools sells many of them. If you don't see what you want, call them because the metric items aren't always shown.

Highland Hardware of Atlanta is also a big CMT dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolph Hofmann View Post
    Can anyone recommend a source for metric router bits? I have some 5.2 mm plywood for drawer bottoms and need to make the slots. No local source (Santa Rosa, CA) seems to be able to supply the appropriate bit.

Thanks.

Art Hofmann

5.2mm bits in 1/4" & 1/2" shank
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops..._straight.html

Quote Originally Posted by Adolph Hofmann View Post

Thanks.

Art Hofmann
    I'd just like to point out that the next sheet of plywood you buy may be 5.3 or 5.05mm thick. Also, is the ply uniformly thick?

Can you not make 2 passes with a 5mm bit or the nearest imperial smaller size? 3/16" is 4.8mm.