Thread: Looked at a few TS's today, anyone know the General 50-260?

Looked at a few TS's today, anyone know the General 50-260?

Went a took a look at a number of saws today, one I did not see was the General 50-260, does anyone have it or checked it out?
    Saw the General 185, 220, and the 650. Delta Unisaw, the X version of a cantractors saw and a few lesser models. The PM 66, and also stopped next door at Sears and checked out a few of theirs. The 185 and 220 were a bit less saw then I care to get while the 650, 66, and unisaw cost more then I can handle (at least so far ). It'd be a tough call between them, very nice units. The Delta X contractors saw was very nice but getting it to be somewhat dust free would be a real challange, it's on the maybe list. Hate to say it but I was suprised by the pro craftsman model, probably on par with the Delta X contractors saw, if you balance out their pros and cons, about the same price too. Too bad I still have a bad impression for Craftsman stuff.
    A year or 2 ago (well at least it seems like that long) you could get a Unisaw for about $1500, anyone still see deals like that?

I just got my Unisaw with a 50 inch Biesmeyer for $1565 with another $100 rebate to boot. I got it at the Woodworking Show so if it comes to your neck of the woods you might find a similar deal. I agree about Craftsman. It isn't so much the tools but the abysmal customer service at Sears that keeps me away. I have had my share of problems at Sears and they just drop the ball every time. From all accounts the General is a really nice saw.
    Last edited by John Shuk; 12-31-2004 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Grammar

General Prices

Bob,

You might want to check around for General prices. Found there to be a significant difference even within the same region. Ballew Saw was the best I could find making the purchase of my 650 much less painful.

Toolcrib has the PM 64A on sale for 769.99, free shipping and 100$ coupon.
    Been told on this forum that this is the best contractors saw. All the reviews
    make me think I will one day have to move up to the unisaw, so think I will
    wait for the best deal I can find and get one instead of having to rid myself
    of a contractors saw first. A guy said woodcrafters had one for 300$ less
    on the reviews for the unisaw on toolcrib. It was the left tilt 50" with bies.
    Jim

Thanks Guys, it gives me a few leads. Sure wish there was somewhere within driving distance that kept most of the cabinet saws on hand. I'll be driving to Boston this week to check out the 50-260, it'll end up being an all day affair. I'd like to see what the supersaw looks like but so far I can't find one, and next to no Jdet products around to look at. I must be missing something... is eveyone buying sight unseen?