Thread: Dust Removal

Dust Removal

What's the preferred method of removing sanding dust from a project after the final sanding and before the first coat of finish?

I'm thinking blowing with compressed air or vacuuming using a brush on the shop vac hose. Do I run a risk of contamination by using the compressed air?

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You do run the risk of getting condensation on the piece which can raise the grain and cause need for more sanding. But above all, I don't think it does a great job at getting the fine stuff off.

I use tack cloths. Buy em in 2 packs from Lowe's and I can reuse them sometimes if using on small projects. Fold it up and use one side then stick in a ziploc and use again on the next one.

I actually used painters tape before I found tack cloths. It worked pretty well but used a lot of it on big projects.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I don't waste money on tack clothes for a few reasons.

1. I don't know what's on them and don't want to leave anything behind.
    2. They don't get all the dust as well as my method.
    3. I'm cheap.

I use an old tee-shirt damp with mineral spirits. It works better than a tack clothe (IMHO) because it also shows me any milling or glue flaws BEFORE the finish gets applied.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 12-01-2010 at 2:51 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I don't waste money on tack clothes for a few reasons.

1. I don't know what's on them and don't want to leave anything behind.
    2. They don't get all the dust as well as my method.
    3. I'm cheap.

I use an old tee-shirt damp with mineral spirits. It work better than a tack clothe (IMHO) because it also shows me any milling or glue flaws BEFORE the finish gets applied.
    I use the MS method as well for the same reasons.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

De-Dusting

I use a foxtail brush to get the big stuff off. Then I blowdown with the air compressor and finally soak a rag in lacquer thinner and give a final wipe.
    I use lacquer thinner because it flashes off quickly and I have a lot of it around.

I've used lacquer thinner too. I never seem to wear gloves and the lacquer thinner is too "hot" for my hands.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Would the laquer thinner or mineral spirits cause Padauk to bleed into Maple?

Really don't want to deal with that kind of mess.
    Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post

Really don't want to deal with that kind of mess.
    Jerry
    I don't thank so. I belive padauk is a oily wood that is probly what caused the red to bleed. I have used padauk nice wood. I belive i would use lacquer thinner only. I use it all the time. Like was mention it flashies quick clean's and leve's no oily resedue behind

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Yes, a little but you are going to sand it down anyway after gluing. If you are going directly to finishing, just settle for a brush down and a blow down. This will also happen with just about any contrasting woods especially walnut.
    WARNING: Dont wash clothes with padouk dust on them with your normal laundry load. All whites will be pink and there ain't no going back.

Plus 1 for the mineral spirits and forget what I said about tack cloths.

Never thought about it the way Scott put it and I tried some MS on a cloth diaper last night on a keepsake box I just sanded and it worked great. No more tack cloths here.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.