Thread: Porter Cable Router 7518 Died - What to replace it with?

Exclamation Porter Cable Router 7518 Died - What to replace it with?

I watched the PC 7518 motor die a slow death yesterday. it was painful to watch. It's even more painful that the local DeWalt/PC service center doesn't have a replacement motor on hand and Home Depot only has this router online and not in-store.

I need a new variable speed router immediately. I'm not to familiar with the different makes and models available, so can anyone suggest a good replacement router that I may be able to find at a Home Depot/Lowes?

The PC 7518 was 3-1/4 HP with 5-speeds.

This router is to be installed on my CAMaster MC2840.

TIA,
    Bryan

Options are probably severely limited considering the fixture the router motor sits in on the CAMaster...

Bryan do you have a woodworking specific store located near you?

Maybe google WoodCrafter or Wood working store in your area?

Just a thought.

Nick

Bryan,

Contact Joey at CAMaster and he can overnight you a now one.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    Bryan do you have a woodworking specific store located near you?

Maybe google WoodCrafter or Wood working store in your area?

Just a thought.

Nick
    By a faint miracle, I do. Located a half hour away and they have one motor left in stock. Hope to pick it up tonight.

Other option was to have one overnighted either from Joey or Amazon, but I need it tonight. Boy will my face be red if I get to that wood working store and it's no longer available. It will ruin any chance of having one overnighted for delivery tomorrow.

Time to roll the dice

I'll have DeWalt/Porter Cable repair my current one for $189 just in case in another year the new motor decides to die, too.

I say give them your CC# and tell them to hold it for you!!

Hope it works out for you!

Nick

just call and tell them you are coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    I say give them your CC# and tell them to hold it for you!!

Hope it works out for you!

Nick
    Going to double check my local Home Depot first at noon. If they in fact do not have it, I'll place the call.

I'm not THAT big of a risk taker

ps, the 7518 is a workhorse with nine lives, is it the brushes or the bearings that went, if you can get a set and fix the router for a backup we keep an extra couple on hand

more than likely a big box store will not carry this router, for parts mann tool 803 252 7777 ask for conrad or tyler

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    ps, the 7518 is a workhorse with nine lives, is it the brushes or the bearings that went, if you can get a set and fix the router for a backup we keep an extra couple on hand

more than likely a big box store will not carry this router, for parts mann tool 803 252 7777 ask for conrad or tyler
    Certainly going to get it fixed to keep around as a spare. No time to fix now. Must buy new

No to Home Depot. Called the wood craft store and purchased over the phone. Hopefully we're back up and running this evening!

Nothing like a small hiccup during the busiest season of the year!!

Sounds like this is working out alright. But it brings up an interesting question. I have to decide on a router or spindle very soon now for my new Stinger. If I choose a spindle, and that goes down, I'm sure not going to have another spindle laying around as a back up. Is it better for the hobbyist to just have a router?

Jim

Jim,

For the hobbyist I would go with a router.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Forgot to post last week, but the woodcraft store 30 miles away had the motor and I was back up in running in less than 5 minutes. Now its time to rebuild the old motor so I'm better prepared!