Thread: 1952 Unisaw rehabe update.

1953 Unisaw rehabe update.

Well the saw cut its first wood in about 12 years today.

I trimmed the motor hole in the cabinet side a little bigger so the bigger motor would tilt & installed the motor cover yesterday The cabinet isn't flat so I put a little camper foam seal under the door edge.

Today I installed belts & the fence system.

I still need to hook up the switch & mount it but I couldn't stand it any longer so I put a plug on the cord end & cranked it up hmmmm sure sounds good.

With the fence installed & lined up & my buddy watching with the his hand on the cord & saying you can push the wood through this saw a little faster we trimmed the edge of a small piece of plywood a nice clean cut.

The blade & miter slot is a smidgen wide at the right back side of the blade so that will need to be adjusted.

I hope to build the wing & table frame work tomorrow but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

So with out further adieu here are some pictures .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-31-2006 at 1:03 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Great work Bart! I know how hard it is to be forced to wait.

You could probably feed the wood faster if you had painted it FSU colors.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Lookin' good, Bart! Wonderful restoration, me thinks! Yeah, definitely get that switch on there, pronto! I don't blame you for trying it, though. Kinda' did that myself when I redid the W&H. Trust me...A switch is nicer. So, are you now going to be a 2 TS shop or are you give the Uni sole propiertership in the shop?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Lookin' good, Bart! Wonderful restoration, me thinks! Yeah, definitely get that switch on there, pronto! I don't blame you for trying it, though. Kinda' did that myself when I redid the W&H. Trust me...A switch is nicer. So, are you now going to be a 2 TS shop or are you give the Uni sole proprietorship in the shop?:)
    Ha Ha that question gave me a good chuckle lets see where do you think I can put it rolling on the floor laughing out loud...............

Nice thought, I really wish I could though.

The Unisaw will be the queen @ the center of my shop.

Actually in the floor-plan in this post you'll notice I have a 12" extension on the back of the current saw ( which allows for the motor on the back of the saw) between the saw & the bench. I am thinking of leaving this off the Unisaw when I move it into the shop & just take the fence off the saw when not in use. This saves 12". So what do you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-01-2005 at 2:23 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Actually in the floor-plan in this post you'll notice I have a 12" extension on the back of the current saw ( which allows for the motor on the back of the saw) between the saw & the bench. I am thinking of leaving this off the Unisaw when I move it into the shop & just take the fence off the saw when not in use. This saves 12". So what do you think.
    Bart, I have said it before and I will say it again. That is one crowded shop! Saving 12" dosen't sound like much but in your shop (and I expect in mine once I populate it) saving 12" is a big deal. Do it.

unisaw update

Good job it's great to see an old machine put back into use again. I found an 63'rockwell-delta bandsaw that I rehabed. It looks like the motor is from Grizzly, is it for a current unisaw? Did it bolt up with no modification?

Russ Massery

Russell

The motor is from Grizzly & it is for a Grizzly G1023Z & it did bolt up with no modification? Hmm what does this maybe tell us Instead of $400 + dollars it was $200.

Bart -

Ain't it great when you fire those old one up for the first time and they just sit there and go HHHMMMMmmmmm...... Then a piece of wood goies through and it never changes pitch. You will have a smile on you face every time you start it up.

Congratulations on a job well done,
    Ted