Thread: SolidWorks help

SolidWorks help

I am making a wooden sign with a V bit, the wider the cut, the deeper the bit travels into the material. I am trying to make a visual mock-up of the sign in SolidWorks and am unable to make a cut with multiple depths according to the width of the cut. I know my router table will make the cut; I just want to visually represent the cut in the digital mock-up.
    Does anyone have experience in doing this in SolidWorks?

Thanks for the help
    Josh
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Richard View Post
    I am making a wooden sign with a V bit, the wider the cut, the deeper the bit travels into the material. I am trying to make a visual mock-up of the sign in SolidWorks and am unable to make a cut with multiple depths according to the width of the cut. I know my router table will make the cut; I just want to visually represent the cut in the digital mock-up.
    Does anyone have experience in doing this in SolidWorks?

Thanks for the help
    Josh
    Josh have you looked at Vectric's software? They produce VCarve Pro & Aspire, both do great at v carving and have fantastic tool path & finished part previews.

They may have educational versions/discounts.

Neal

Can you do a sweep cut using the v-bit profile and setting the sides of the v to be coincident (pierce?) the guidelines, and putting a vertical constraint on the centerline of the bit?

It's been several years since I quit using SolidWorks. I don't think these options were available back then, but newer versions might have that feature.