Thread: Work in Progress

Work in Progress

One of the projects I'm currently working on is a pair of mahogany side tables. I usually work from my own designs, but LOML and I liked the appearance of the table David Marks built on his first program on DIY. The next step is some finish sanding and then red mahogany stain. Final finish will be several coats of Danish oil. The wenge accents were a bit of a challenge since I've never done any scroll saw work, but I survived with most of my sanity intact.

I'm also continuing work on a pair of nightstands and will post some in-progress photos in another thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 01-01-2005 at 7:00 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Bill I really like the tables. Very clean look.

Love your tables Bill! You do real nice work.Ive made a bunch of tables, end tables,coffee tables and such,but not with tops like this.It really breaks things up a bit,looks great.I might try one too.Im in the habit of tapering my legs,but these dont look tapered-or do they have a very slight taper?I might try that also.Very nice scrollwork too.

Nice looking table Bill! Just curious on how you attached the tops?

Wayne

I just watched that episode

This is so funny. Not 30 minutes ago I watched woodworks and this was the project on today! Looks similiar!
    Nice job all around!
    Chris Pine
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by everett lowell
    Love your tables Bill! You do real nice work.Ive made a bunch of tables, end tables,coffee tables and such,but not with tops like this.It really breaks things up a bit,looks great.I might try one too.Im in the habit of tapering my legs,but these dont look tapered-or do they have a very slight taper?I might try that also.Very nice scrollwork too.
    Thanks, Everett.

Previous tables I've done are typically a veneer panel wrapped with solid wood. This design uses a frame and panel construction with an ogee on the inside and outside edges of the frame.

The legs are not tapered. They have a profile that is built up from cove, v-, and roundover bits. There is also a chamfer on the inside corner of each leg.

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bracy
    Nice looking table Bill! Just curious on how you attached the tops? Wayne
    Thanks, Wayne.

The tops are glued onto the apron. The frame overlaps the apron so you have long grain to long grain for glue-up. I thought about using figure-8's or some other tupe of attachment device, but a straight glue-up gives a very clean appearance.

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Bill -

Nice looking pair of tables. Good proportions and lines. The finish will really make them stand out.

Regards,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    This is so funny. Not 30 minutes ago I watched woodworks and this was the project on today! Looks similiar!
    Nice job all around! Chris Pine
    Thanks, Christopher.

I first saw episode 101 of Wood Works two or three years ago and liked the table then. Always thought it would be a relatively simply but nice item to build. Our DVR cable box is set to record all of David's programs and I wasn't aware that episode was on today -- haven't checked the list.

Although the dimensions are easy enough to get from the program itself, I downloaded the cutlist from David's website and looked over the production notes on DIYnetwork.com. I generated my own working drawings from the basic information. When I finish it, the appearance should be very close to what you see on the program.

Regards,
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa