Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you use ts blade guard?

I've had my Delta contractors table saw for over 10 years and the guard has never been used.

Frank,

Sorry, it was wood central, not wood net... my mistake.
    Overarm Blade Guard

As far as advice:
    Use 1/4" lexan, you don't need to go any thicker (I think the plans call for 1/2" which would be too heavy in my opinion, use a needle applicator for the acrylic adhesive, it's runny and messy... I didn't and have some smears.

The plans call for a 3" dust port on top, I ran a large section of 4" flex hose then branched it to 2 2.5" ports, front and back. It creats kinda a mini cyclone action inside the hood. I don't know if it's any better or not, but it seems to work well.

The plans also call for aluminum square tube for the overarm part... I used some scrap pine and plywood, works just as well.

Oh yea, and if you want it to look really good, don't let your 5 year old draw a shark face on it because she misses your old BT3100 shark guard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Jim, I saved the picture of the guard you made in my to-do list. Do you have any advice about making the guard?

Also, I just spent some time poking around Woodnet and could not find the plans. I would appreciate it if you could send a link to the plans to fpellow@sympatico.ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze
    Frank,
    Oh yea, and if you want it to look really good, don't let your 5 year old draw a shark face on it because she misses your old BT3100 shark guard
    Thanks Jim!

I would think that a shark face drawn by a five year old would be the BEST part. My granddaughter Isla turns 5 soon and, if I build this, I will ask her to decorate it.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-05-2005 at 7:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Thanks Jim!

I would think that a shark face drawn by a five year old would be the BEST part. My granddaughter Isla turns 5 soon and, if I build this, I will ask here to decorate it.

For me, yes it is the best part , but I had not remembered at the time you had grandkids my daughter's age...

Blade guard/splitter

Last night for my first contribution to this forum I wrote about my blade guard/splitter arrangement and that I was considering removing the blade guard.
    Today after running several through dado cuts I switched to a combination blade and was running a short narrow test piece to verify the width. I was using a pusher and the board skewed I think because I got a real eye opening kickback and a sore finger as a reminder. I had had a senior moment and did not install the blade guard/splitter. I wont do that again.