Thread: Woodworking shows - what's the hot item going to be this year

Woodworking shows - what's the hot item going to be this year

This is just an observation I have made over the years going to those woodworking shows. Next weekend is Baltimore, so I got to thinking about it again. It seems every year there is a new (or old) product that everybody seems to latch onto. You always see people leaving with it, or walking around with one in their hand. I think last year it was those "pull" brooms that is supposed to sweep up every possible speck of debris. The year before - maybe the blade locks. Year before that - maybe the extension cord holder. I can't remember exactly. But I know every year it's something. Almost everyone will have one in their hand. What is it this year?

Stefan

Maybe it will be the year of the Grrriper!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are always a number of odds and ends that catch folks' eyes at the shows; the cord holder seemed to be selling well at a recent show I attended, although it has absolutely no appeal to me.

So I suggest we all focus on what the shows are really about...woodworking tools!! Frankly, for me, this year will be more of a hand-tool year. Good stuff is becoming even more available with the likes of Lee Valley taking age-old designs and updating them for functionality, features and value. (For those of us really not interested or able to take the time to resurrect a stately old tool to its former glory)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, I've been attending for years, and seen most of it. Last year the Grippers were hot, but before that the magnetic feather boards, yes I got a broom (2 and a long story worth the price :-)), the super drills, magic glass cutters, and other gizmos always seem to get attention. Last year I was really taken my the $3/sheet (2'x4') of figured wood. Last year the Boesheild also was selling like crazy. This year I'm looking for some forstner bits, and supplies like acid brushes, foam brushes, etc... I'll also get a bull nose plane if Lee Valley will honor the gift certificate at the show. Hand tools are more hit and miss, in years past we've had Bridge City, Lee Valley, Lie-Nielsen, and a couple others at the Columbus show, but they don't all come every year so you often need to see who is there. I really love the shows and have gone with my Dad and Uncle longer then I can remember. They have changed over the years, but the seminars are now very good, and we always have little challenges like who spends the most, and "you bought that?". Looking forward to another great show.

John

Being fairly new to the Creek, I have seen the posts regarding WW shows. How does one find out where they will be. I am suspecting that there aren't any very close to those of us living in the "frozen tundra".

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Karl,

Here's the link to the The Woodworking Shows: http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

There's also another on called Woodworks:
    http://www.woodworks2003.com/

Hope this doesn't break any rules as far a poting links goes.

Pete

Thanks Peter,

I guess Milwaukee is the closest any of the shows get to me. I just might try and make it down there. Of course at that time of year weather will play a role in making it or not.

Hey, Spring you up to taking a Friday off in February and mosying down to the big city? Just think of the damage we could do. I might even take a bath.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Seeing that we live in a very high tech world now. I would guess that we will see a big increase in digital do-hickys like the new digital router table insert from Jointech.

If that thing didn't cost an arm and a leg, and had been proven longer. I would like one. But I will wait til there are others to pick from.

Went to the show yesterday, but I didn't notice a certain item. Maybe this year it was something that was small enough to be put in a bag. Of all the booths, the grripper booth had the most people consistantly watching the demo.

I spent much more than I planned. Bought 2 mobile bases - the new Jet base. For one of the bases, I bought an extention so I can use it with my table saw. I bought a good sturdy compass. One of those cranks to easily tighten and loosten a band saw blade. Some disposable glue brushes. And a complete router table with legs from peachtree.

The bases were a snap (literally) to put together. Unfortunately, the base is too small for one of the tings I wanted to use it for. I should have measured first. I haven't used the one for the table saw yet because I need to get someone to help me lift it onto the base. The router table seems real nice, but I have not used it yet. They just sell it to you as a bunch of seperate parts. So I am still in the guess work process putting it all together. They give no clear instructions for the fence and dust hood. But I am thinging about going back tommorow and looking it over. Also, I ought to watch a few clinics instead of spending so much money.

Another good - although typical year.

Stefan

Jeff Watson Guest

Unhappy Indy show

Here is an FYI for those of you going to the Indy show. I usually pick a power tool or two at Superior Distributings booth, they have really good prices at the show. I was in their store the other day and I was talking to one of their sales guys and apparently booth space has gotten too expensive for them at the show. This year they will not be at the show, instead they will have an open house at the store. Looks like two stops for me.