Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought one of the last Bosch 1590EVSK jigsaws at Home Depot

Just bought one of the last Bosch 1590EVSK jigsaws at Home Depot

Hello,

This isn't a gloat, just a heads-up to let everyone know (if you don't already know) that Bosch is phasing out the 1590 (and I'm sure the 1591 too) jigsaw, in favor of the new s470e model. From my understanding (and I may be wrong), the new model doesn't have the precision control blade feature of the 1590/91.

I wanted to make sure to get a 1590 before they were completely gone. At one of my three local Home Depots, there were none available, but another store had 2 in stock, so I grabbed one.

I spoke to Bosch customer service a few days ago, and the rep told me that the 1590 would be discontinued soon, but not yet. I had hoped that Home Depot or Lowe's might put the remaining ones on clearance, but they haven't done that, and I wasn't willing to wait for them to do so.

Just a heads-up.

Louis

Heck of a jigsaw...love mine. By the way, there are some folks out there who believe the Precision Control blade guide can cause non-straight cuts (might be why they removed the feature). I personally haven't experienced this, but don't doubt there are a number of units out there that may have a problem.

That being said, it is still hands down a phenomenal jigsaw. Couple it with the Progressor blades, and man...

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    I spoke to Bosch customer service a few days ago, and the rep told me that the 1590 would be discontinued soon, but not yet. I had hoped that Home Depot or Lowe's might put the remaining ones on clearance, but they haven't done that, and I wasn't willing to wait for them to do so.

Just a heads-up.

Louis
    I am dubious of this claim for 2 reasons:

1. They showed the JS470E & JS470EB for the first time at IWF, the rep there said that they would NOT be getting rid of the 1590/1

2. Bosch just released a new 1590EVSL and 1591EVSL kit in the new L-BOXX container

My guess the fact that the old non L-BOXX kits being discontinued prompted the CS person to think the 1590/1 jig saws are going the way of the dinosaur. I certainly could be wrong but I still think CS was wrong, CS also told someone that they were NOT bringing the corded multi-tool to the US recently, also something Bosch announced at IWF...

BTW precision control is on the JS470E and JS470EB it is just internal instead of external like on the 1590/1

Van,

You might be perfectly correct. I did hear something about the 1590EVSL, so maybe that's what is going to happen. Maybe it's just that the 1590EVSK is being discontinued to make room for the 1590EVSL. I don't know what difference the "L" model is supposed to have.

The reason that I got concerned enough to grab a 1590EVSK is that when I was at one of my Home Depots the other day, I saw only one of them, and it was the display model. There were none in stock. They had the new 470s in stock.

Today, when I went to the same Home Depot, even the display 1590EVSK was gone, so I checked another Home Depot, and that's where I found the two.

Louis
    Last edited by Louis Brandt; 12-04-2010 at 7:48 PM.

I bought the new model, and I hate it!

So I went out and bought three of the old models......

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post

I don't know what difference the "L" model is supposed to have.
    I think it denotes the L-BOXX which is similar to the Festool Systainer and will start to house some of the Bosch line.

Larry, do tell what did you not like about the 470?

I'd like to know where the new one is made?

I think the 1591 was made in Switzerland.

I happened to attend our local tool pusher's open house today and spent some time talking with the Bosch rep, including about the new jigsaws.

I specifically asked what was being discontinued now that there was a new top dog in their line. He told me that he 1590/91 are not being discontinued. The 1587 (and it's barrel chested bro) are being discontinued, and will be replaced with a new model with fewer features than the 1590/91, probably styled similar to the new 470.

I also checked out the new Glide CMS. This was actually the first one in Southern Nevada, because our construction industry has been hammered that badly, our unemployment is the worst in the nation, so nobody has brought them in. That is one schweeeet saw. When the time comes (probably in about a year or so), that will likely be my G/SCMS. Fortunately (from a $$$ perspective), I don't have the problem of upgrading from a perfectly good saw, since I don't have a SCMS currently.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

10. Bosch jigsaw model change

I bought the last 1590EVSK at my local Lowes store today. It was mistakenly displayed as if it were the new model, priced at $159. The manager let me have it for a hundred bucks and I was well pleased with the deal.
    I wasn't able to test drive the new model, but saw nothing about it that convinced me that I'd rather have it.

Howard,

Did you get the display model at that price or one in a box?

Interestingly, what you ran into is similar to the situation that I came across at one of my Home Depots. They had the 1590EVSK on display, but none in stock. On the other hand, they had several of the new JS470E in stock, but none on display. When I pointed this out to the tool department guy, he didn't seem to understand what I was explaining to him and just told me that both models had the same SKU number (Home Depot's stocking number), and that therefore, he considered them to be the same model.

I didn't want the display model, so I went to another Home Depot, where they had the opposite situation. At this one, they had only the 1590EVSK, but no JS470E. Since they had two in stock, I bought one, thinking that they would be discontinued soon.

Actually, after talking with Bosch customer service and hearing comments from other members, it seems that the 1590EVSK isn't being discontinued after all, but discontinued or not, Home Depot and Lowe's probably won't carry both the old and new models, so it's probably a good bet that if anyone wants one from one of the Borgs, they might be advised to get one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I bought the new model, and I hate it!

So I went out and bought three of the old models......
    lol attaboy, larry!

13. Louis:

I took the display model, it being the only remaining one they had.

Lowes' situation was exactly as you described it - they only had the new ones in stock but were displaying the old model, thinking it was the new one. The mistakenly shared stock number trumped the obvious physical dissimilarity of the two for both Lowes employees. (It has the same number, so it must be the same tool, right?)

The 1590 may continue to be offered by Bosch, but it doesn't appear that it will continue to be sold by Lowes.

So what is the Model # JS365 then?
    Replacement for the 1587?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

Larry, do tell what did you not like about the 470?
    I was siding a Italianate and the siding had to go around the fancy trim on both ends so I had the new model on one end of the bench and the old standard on the other end for efficiency, so I was using both at the same time for the same cuts. The old one is just better handling, feels better in the hand, and is noticably less top heavy. It was easier to get perfect cuts with the old model on the small details that we were doing. The 470 just did not feel right.

I found a place selling them on clearance for $70 so I bought a lifetime supply and gave the new one to an employee.