Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, I Made My Bed

Thumbs up Finally, I Made My Bed

it's done. I sanded it starting with 60 all the way to 220 and then waxed it. My dad made a special wax/ oil mix. he did this by heating up the wax and dropping a small amount of oil. it amde the wax a little easer to penetrate. After it was all waxed, we put it together and then put the side rails in and put the center support leg in. the slats were cut from poplar and then screwed in. see the construction photos at my post in the design forum

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15151

the dovetail joints came out nice and tight. here it is in my room!

the pillows don't fall out the back too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-03-2005 at 7:20 AM. Reason: removed signature line - violated TOS (direct link to website)

Ryan,

Excellent job ! a most beautiful job. Love the design also. You clearly have talent there and I'm sure your dad has been an excellent help/resource.

Keith

thanx Keith! I had fun making it too. my dad has been sick. he couldn't really help at all... if anything he got in the way.. and he really doesn't know what he's doing
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-03-2005 at 7:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Singer
    thanx Keith! I had fun making it too. my dad has been sick. he couldn't really help at all... if anything he got in the way.. and he really doesn't know what he's doing
    Hehe. A question though, how did you secure the bed frame to the head/foot board ?

with bed rail hardware. it's good to sink the plate slightly recessed for a tight joint.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-03-2005 at 7:21 AM.

That turned out great, Ryan! You're right about the dovetail joints; Came out beautiful! Now, this thing about your dad not know what he is doing.... Dang it all, I wish I had a better eye for design. Nice job from start to finish.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice work Ryan!!

Your Dad has advised me several times on tools & their usage......Looks like I can add you to the reference section too

Did you use a a "queen dovetail saw" from Tashiro's.....????

Great job!!!

Excellent job, Ryan! (Outstanding dovetails...) It looks great in the house, too. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't ask me...I just get in the way.... I will have to clean up the shop and put all the stuff away....and take him back to get more wood and my discount and let him use my tools in my shop and set everything up and take the photos....this parent thinggg oyi....oyi it's over rated!

Just kidding we had fun...he is teaching me and I am a fairly good listener
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

We set up the bandsaw and cut both pins and tails....I chopped one and Ryan did all the rest. It is difficult to saw in 8/4 and keep the saw straight...it takes a lot of practice...I used a method that is not as frustrating and showed hin the proper saw set ups...tails first...scribing pins from tails...cuttung on the waste side with the pins...chopping at a slight undercut...squaring the table to the blade.

The Tashiro Queen blade is one of my favorites and the Tashiro Laminate/ Dovetail is another great one....thin and effortless for hand work .

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Nice work Ryan!!

Your Dad has advised me several times on tools & their usage......Looks like I can add you to the reference section too

Great job!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks. I am glad to be appreciated amongst some of the best wood workers I know! (you guys!)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    about the dove tails... the thickness was scribed then the dovetail was drawn on the end with pencil. the dove tail was cut with a bandsaw using the fence for the thickness depth cut and then then a wedged shape piece of wood was used as a guide for cutting the angles all the same. it was all done with the bandsaw. after this, the other side was layed in a vice and I put the dovetail on top and scribed the shape of the dovetail on the endgrain. this angle was also cut on the bandsaw but this time the table top had to be adjusted to get the angle of the dovetail correct. I cut each of those then flipped the table angle over for the other side of the dove tail. then I chiseled it all out. they pretty much just went together no problem without too much adjustment. scribing correctly is the trick. Ash is kind of a tricky wood. it's really hard, a little sticky when you are chiseling, drilling, working with in general.

I picked ash for it's color, price, the simplicity and beauty of the grain.. it's such a light color, it kinda peaceful like a dream with my white sheets..

I have been resting in it.. I love it!!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-03-2005 at 7:22 AM. Reason: signature line violated TOS

Nice joints

Ryan/
    I sure like those joints and the color of that ash is very nice. What tool did you use to sand those joints, 5" random orbital sander? Those corner look real clean.

Corvin

Ryan -

Exceptional joinery and really slick design. Have been following, with great interest, the progress of your bed in the updated posts.

Well done,
    Ted

Ryan, Love those dovetails!! Great design and great job!!!
    Jerry

That looks excellent!! Congrats on a job well done. It also helps that you have such great help.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.