Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What rulers do y'all use?

I have a lot of nice Woodpecker rulers and Incra stuff. My go to measuring device is a 25' Stanley tape measure. As long as you use one device throughout the project you will be fine.

+1 on the Shinwa rules from Lee Valley _ that's the one that lives in my apron pocket.

PEC rules and squares are a good/affordable alternative to Starrett and comparable machinist's tools - i think many store branded squares are made by PEC.

I recently got a bunch of iGaging brand double squares for student use - pretty good for the price.
    http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com.../products/494/

Got about 20 rules from Shars - 6" to 24" - they're all very consistent, nice non-glare finish, finely engraved, incredible value.
    http://www.shars.com/product_categor...on_Steel_Rules

-kg

I use my ProCarpenter FlatBack flat woodworking tape and my Pinnacle 12" ruler more than any other single tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke;1577460
    I recently got a bunch of iGaging brand double squares for student use - pretty good for the price.
    [URL
    http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Combination-Squares/products/494/[/URL]

-kg
    BTW you can get the iGaging 4" double square on eBay for $12.99 shipped most of the time, can't remember the sellers name.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I use a lot of different measuring devices, but the one that never leaves my side is this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...66&cat=1,43513
    I have an English 6" rule that's almost identical the Lee Valley rule only it's not stainless, and it's approaching 35 years old. I'd be lost without it. What I like best are the lack of metric graduations, just 1/8ths and 1/16ths on one side, 32nds and 64ths on the other side.

I haven't any thing to exotic, but here is the show and tell in my apron, I am a little envious of some of the tools mentioned here. I don't carry the Lufkin usually but I really like the dual fraction/decimal very nice. I can find a Stanly 12ft. any where and it fits nice in the hand and pocket. The small 10ft Stanly never gets lost as it is tethered (big deal for me) but also it has a dual side that measures circumference up to the 16ths very cool when needed. The adjustable square I got from craftsmen as they had it in S.S.steel unlike the other box stores.I use the compass for finding center and squaring something equally in a corner etc. with out measuring.
    I like the feel of a roofing square if I cut it down, but that Japanese style one looks like it will take its place soon. 4-6 inch calipers are really nice to.
    I carry one of thoughts (general) s.s.6in and another for measuring in holes that is 1/4 wide. I like the 6 inch 1/2 wide ones for attaching to jigs.

I think just as important as the measuring device is the marking tool I stopped using a pencil I use a fine point pen or a blade. You can make a nice blade from a cheep scraper not so bad when you drop it.

If your going to go cheep Id definitely bring along something very accurate with,to check against. Some of the other tools mentioned here look very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 12-08-2010 at 2:27 AM.

Kevin Groenke, the two webs sites look very appealing.

Just thought Id through in this tape adjusting jig I copied once. Im sure a simpler design could be built but it works when shopping for a tape or after snapping or dropping one. I forgot to mentin, dont leave any metal rulers in front of youir table saw as you cut it will ruin it as yoiu can see from a picture attached above !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 12-08-2010 at 2:31 AM.

I use a set of metal rules I got from Lee Valley and have been very pleased with them. I have a 12", an 18", a 24" and a 3" rule. This combination covers my needs very nicely. I really need to add a 6" to it one of these days, however, for tight spaces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you want 1/4",1/8",1/32",1/64" grads, you want a 4r rule. 4R has the old standard fractional grads,which us hard headed,old fashioned Americans who do things the hard way want.