Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shop built wood storage rack, stationary.

David, your link to the thread didn't show up. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just designed a bracket that I am in the process of building now.
    Simple 2x4 design with a 45degree support, but then I can put some
    pieces in there as well which allows me a sorting system as well.

If you send me a PM, I can send you a CAD file or a pdf with all the dimensions, that is if you want it.

Jim

Jim, back in 2004 when Triton was having financial problems their lumber racks went on sale for less than $40 a set. Evidently they lost the patent in the process and several other companies are now using the design. I picked up two sets of the Triton racks and recently bought one from someone else who made the horizontal lumber supports with silver instead of the Triton orange. Woodcraft is now offering their own Pinnacle version of the same rack.

150160_400.jpg

My racks are very strong. Woodcraft claims that their version supports up to 110 lbs per shelf. Frankly I think that's that's very conservative. I can't remember what I paid either for the Tritons or the newest set, but Woodcraft has theirs on sale for $50 per set. I wish I could remember where I got the last set that I bought. Perhaps someone else will chime in with an answer.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 12-06-2010 at 9:39 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, I remember the Triton's being on sale at 39.95, at Woodcraft IIRC. I had hoped I might find them on sale this year, but doesn't look like it so far.
    Jim, I'll send you a PM when I finish this. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    David, your link to the thread didn't show up. Jim.
    Wow! Wonder if I pasted it LOL
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145774

Heavy Metal

Jim,

VPC 3/4 in. x 10 ft. Steel Pipe at Home Depot is $11

Using my primitive skills and a drill press, drilling holes slightly angled into a treated 2x4 or at right angles into 4x4's depending on whether I want one or two sided shelves I have found this stuff to be bullet proof. It is a cinch to saw with a hack saw and easier than sneezing using a cheap Harbor Frieght cut off saw to length. Secure the 2x4 to anything that will bear it but while the engineers will tell you how much this will hold I have yet to find a practical limit or failure. At times I have wondered about "staining" the stored wood and have slid a pvc pipe over it to prevent contact. There are likely more elegant solutions but this is just so easy and reliable I have forgone wood arms for steel pipe and use 2x4's when one sided against a wall or 4x4's for the uprights, from floor to ceiling joists, and has been a breeze.

Jim, here are a few pictures of racks for short pieces that I have collected in my shop picture files. I'm considering building something similar to one of these once I get my shop better organized and know where I want to put one.

IMG_0766.jpg

p_452_1_1.jpg

20030201_Small_Shop_Tips_page003img002.jpg

I'm also considering a storage area under my miter saw for shorts. Perhaps I could incorporate one of these designs into a bench for my miter saw.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps