Thread: Looking for Powermatic paint

Looking for Powermatic paint

I am trying to clean up a PM60 jointer (as many of you may know and be sick of hearing about ) Powermatic sell spray paint for the current gold, but nothing for the older gold that mine is. I could I guess respray the whole base the new color, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. I found this as a possible solution:

Powermatic:

Steve Musial has been at it again. Here is a dead match for Powermatic Green, again from Porter Paints:

Porter Paints Pro-Master 2000 Oil Satin

124 Ultra Deep Base
    20C
    12E
    2YS(or 5)
    26V

It has also been reported that Pittsburgh Paints "Vista Green" is an excellent match for the OLD Powermatic green.

Do they call the color of my jointer Powermatic Green?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Morton; 01-01-2005 at 7:20 PM.

Do you have a small painted piece that you can easily take to a paint supply place? I have several by me that sell to the body shop industry. They can do a digital image of the paint and convert it to a paint formula. You might have them or a body shop look...there are many paint formulas available to them to mix from a computer program. It might be helpful to know what brand the original paint was (ie: Dupont, etc.) but I don't think that would be a deal breaker. If you don't know of anyone you can ask, PM me and I'll try to see if the manager of the body shop we use can help. Jim.

Tim, PowerMatic machines really were "Green" awhile back...you've got gold, but a deeper shade than the present color, as you know. Jim's suggestion to get it matched is a good idea...you only need a small sample...perhaps some small painted part is removable?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would CALL Powermatic CS and explain that you do not have a Green machine, but the ORIGINAL Gold color, and would like the Brand and color number of that paint. There is No Way that they could make me believe they don't have that information in their files, and it should certainly be available to any owner of one of their machines.

Go ahead and stir them up Tim, so they will be up to date on the subject when I have to call them one of these days to get the same information, (for my PM-66 that is the same shade of Gold).

Tim -

Like Jim said, they used to really be [u]green[/]. Like this.

Ted

ACE Hardware is also a place that does computer color matching. Lowes has it locally too. Most CM machines I've looked at only need a about a square inch of material to get a match.

Only a test,
    If I type in Powermatic Model 180 thickness planer will it match the classified I have for my 18" Green Machine at the bottom of this page?

No it didn't. I wonder what it keys on to show up in similar threads.
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 01-01-2005 at 9:18 PM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

I found 2 off the shelf colors that are really close...one is a rust-oleum "hammered" gold whihc is almost an exact match for color, just not sure how i will like the texture of it. The other I found at Aubochon hardware and is a caled "NOW" and is a metailic gold. I have taped and primed the base and will experiment with both to see if I can mix and match. its a jointer afterall, not a 63 vette.

You could have fooled me Tim

I though it was a 62 1/2 Gold Borg Vette being square racing stripe & all.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-02-2005 at 1:05 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Tim, the hammered finish you found is very similar in texture to the finish on many Grizzly products and is usually quite durable.
    --

Tim, the hammered finish you found is very similar in texture to the finish on many Grizzly products and is usually quite durable.
    Good to hear Jim, because the first coat of the other gold looks pretty bad, I will let it dry and go over it with the hammered gold.

Not quite the right color.....I will try a different store tommorrow. it looks OK, but i want a closer color match. More greenish and darker. I taped off the green strip to preserve it.
    Last edited by Tim Morton; 01-02-2005 at 5:39 PM.

Maybe you can mix in a little green hammered paint to get the shade right?
    --

I found on OWWM web site (old wood working machine) that they did a Powermatic color time line. Your thumbnail on the left is the color of my 1995 PM66. I think from their site PM used this gold from 1990 - 1995. They went to an auto paint supplier and did a color match on an inside piece of pm 180 that they claim never saw the light of day. I took the door of mine to HDepot for the color match and they came up with some brown colored paint (they claim due to the very slight amt of oxidation/rust of paint. Needed a like new piece to get exact color match.
    Their color match was -********* GM 54 WA4972 (AKA: Sovereign Gold Met).************** On researching this more, I found out this was a color used on a General Motors 1977 Cadillac. How ironic since many consider the PM 66 the cadillac of american made cabinet saws.
    Today I went to a PPG auto paint supplier and picked up their ************** Shop-line - JAU - Direct Gloss Acrylic Urethane - OEM Code 54,WA4972 - Sovereign Gold Poly.************* I'm going to repaint my partally rusted (from being in the unheated garage for a number of years) PM66. The test spot on the lid of the can appears to look like it's going to be a perfect match. It didn't have the reducer or the topcoat hardener added to it yet. The supplier told me that I will have about an hour to spray it after I mix it. So I will mix only about a third of the quart at a time when I do get it ready to be painted. He states each component will last years unmixed.

A couple years ago I got a spray can of POWERMATIC GOLD paint from WHM Industries which owns PM now and I had even told them it was a 1995 so I could paint a metal motor cover which I had found on EBAY (Not the cheep plastic covers they have now). I painted it . Yes it's gold but no where near the same gold. I called them and they told me it was the only gold paint they have (hard to believe since PM has had various colors over the years). So that is when my search began to repaint it now that I have it in my workshop in the basement of my new house.

I update how it works out when I get it done. Not real soon since I have a lot of "honey do jobs". This is going to be a project - esp the prep and spray (paint has a lot of VOCs)
    Last edited by Bill Hops; 05-11-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Paint it GOLD, not MUSTARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    ...Powermatic sell spray paint for the current gold, [read: mustard] but nothing for the older gold that mine is. [read: metallic gold] I could I guess respray the whole base the new color, but I'm wondering if there is a better way?

...Do they call the color of my jointer Powermatic Green? ...
    Tim, your PM60 jointer is '80s metallic gold--neither of the two greens PM used previous to yours.

And, yes, there HAS to be a better way! I denote the change from PM metallic gold in the '80s, to the mustard yellow of the '90s until present, as the beginning of the end of Made-in-USA Powermatic machines, when the complete PM line died; replaced by Chinese imports.

Although my '98 PM66 TS operates perfectly, it is indeed, mustard yellow. It is the last of the last "good ones," for by the early 2000's there were increasing reports of problems with PM quality.

Mustard is great on hotdogs; NOT on an original '80s PM60 jointer. Perservere in your quest for that "Cadillac Gold." Accept no substitutes!

~Chip~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Chip,

You're replaying to a post that's over 6 years old...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5