Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best tools purchase of the year?

Your best tools purchase of the year?

Well, another year is coming to a close all ready!

What was your best addition to the shop this year? Dollar amount doesn't matter.

Mine was a Hammer Winner table saw closely followed by wixey digital calibers of all things. I wish I would have bought the calibers sooner.

Scott

Mine was a Grizzly G513P bandsaw and the Grizzly G0440 Cyclone that I will be receiving on Monday!!!!!

Smile Mine was a . . .

Mine was a ONEWAY 1224 . . . used, but like new . . .

Also:

12" JET DISC SANDER with stand.

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Jet 16-32 drum sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dutkiewicz View Post
    Mine was a Grizzly G513P bandsaw and the Grizzly G0440 Cyclone that I will be receiving on Monday!!!!!
    Cool I have my eye one a g0440. Post some pics and opinions when you get it up and running!

Cool Adds a whole new dimension...

Old Oliver 12" Jointer (8' bed), upgraded from Delta DJ20 (8").
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

A used Delta Midi lathe! (plus numerous accessories!)

Just started turning this fall and am having the most fun in my life ever!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Technically I paid in 2009 but I did take delivery in 2010. I upgraded to a Felder KF700SP saw/shaper combo in January. The saw and shaper have 5HP 3 phase motors with variable speed drives. They also have power raise/lower mechanisms with digital read outs. In the pic below I have just assembled it but it's not in it's final location in the shop.

When I decided to upgrade I didn't realize that it would necessitate a complete re-layout of the machines in the shop, wiring, dust collection, and air. I also redesigned my wood rack to free up more floor space for the big slider. I also had to make mobile bases for some machines and I built a new bench on wheels so I could use one stall of the garage when not woodworking. In all, it took me 5 months to get back to where I was shop effectiveness wise before the upgrade.
    h

Was kind of a slow year here no big tools but I did pick up a Festool track saw and a few chisels and Akeada dovetail jig and a couple routers to go with it, maybe snuck a Lie-Nielsen block plane in there someplace, a pin nailer and an arched cabinet door pattern set. Maybe it wasn't such a bad year. My new years resolution I will try and buy more tools.

Phil

Sawstop PCS. The big tool purchase of 2011 will hopefully be a 16-32 drum sander and maybe a midi lathe.

A byrd head for my 8" jointer. No question. I love that thing.

All the parts to build my Joes CNC 4X4 rack and pinion hybrid - cutting area 62"X49". Have about $3600 in it not including computer or software, paid cash for everything, and have made over $1500 back just messing around since May 20th. Ordered plans on April 9th.

If DIY does not count - Buying my used 132" belt Vega Oscillating Edge Sander from Rich.

On deck for 2011, adding a K2 8" Linear Z axis and air clamping with 4 zones to my CNC, more spiral and nordfab ductwork, benchtop buffer setup, and possibly a Byrd for my DC580.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-05-2010 at 2:37 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Bosch PS-30, finally got a functioning cordless drill again. My old DeWalt 12v's Nicads gave up the ghost, and I was torn between rebuilding the packs, or buying a new drill. Bosch finally came out with the 12v sub-Compact drill. I already had two of the 1/4" drivers and the impact driver, so it was a no brainer.

Second would have to be the Delta 14" bandsaw I scored during the Lowe's clearancing of 'em. Haven't used it much yet, but it's good just knowing I have it now.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

My Oneway 2436, Dougs 1-1/4 roughing gouge - very nice, 24 of Sorby's tools - didn't know about Doug's then, Vicmarc chuck, Jet Mini lathe and a Nova G3 chuck promo deal. Maybe a second Jet mini lathe, the year is not over.

Best purchase this year was probably the Work Sharp 3000 with the leather strop disc. Finally a way to keep chisels sharp with no hassle.