Thread: Auction Knowledge????

Auction Knowledge????

Guys,how does a person find out about auctions in and around the general area?I know,these are like fishing spots that only you want to know about it and no one else.But it is a good place to meet and maybe have coffee and share knowledge on some of these wwing machines and they are fun.For me,all I fine now days is the online auctions and no live auctions,but I do read about them and looks like some of us here are finding good deals.Just looks like the internet has taken over auctions and I'm guessing they make more money for the person their having the auction for.
    If you are savy on how to find,local,live auctions then please share your knowledge on locating them and don't be snickey---Carroll

auctionzip and bidspotter. irsauctions for big stuff.

I was at an auction this past week, and people were paying 50 dollars for jorgensen cabinet clamps,

When the lumber yard sold out in my home town, somebody paid 2 1/2 times for a Cman radial arm saw what new ones were selling for. You just never know.

Hey, Steve, which one did you go to? The one in Harper's Ferry?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Hey, Steve, which one did you go to? The one in Harper's Ferry?

It was near Dulles airport. Is that Leesburg?

Might be...could also be Sterling. Get anything fun?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Might be...could also be Sterling. Get anything fun?
    I bought a bag of popcorn. It was mostly junk.

I sort of overpaid for a desktop planer at an auction. It's not hard to make a mistake if you don't "know your prices". In my case, I came close to paying the "new" price. Occasionally, I buy stuff I throw away, but overall it averages out okay.

I also paid $11 for a lamp an auctioneer was trying to get rid of which ended up costing $33, and some time, by the time I replaced the cord, the switch, and the shade. By that point, it was really MY lamp though...lol.

Also, don't underestimate the value of shipping to your door, instructions, all of the parts, and a warranty. Caveat Emptor. Happy bidding!

Bill

Many live auctions are advertised in the larger towns in the classified section of the newspaper under the auction classification. You can also call the auctioneers in your area and asked to be put on their notification list. The city, state and board of education auctions have mostly gone to on line auction sites and many of them are also selling their surplus property on Ebay. Still some great deals available. Here's a couple of links where you can bid on items in your area.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...r=831&mystate=

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

I still buy items regularly through these sites.
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

Pretty good stuff at this auction in the NYC area. Felder, festool, jet, etc.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1011556.html