Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue shelf life?

Glue shelf life?

I just heard a tip on a ww show on DIY Network today that wood glue has a shelf life of 1yr. I don't know if I can believe that statement or not.

I currently have a bottle of Titebond #1 glue that is at least 2yrs old and it seems fine to me. I also have a bottle of Titebond #2 and #3 that is less than 3 months old and a bottle of Gorilla Glue that is about 10 months old.

When and where will the glue show signs of failure? Does it change color to indicate that it's gone bad? Does it start to smell? Just looking for information so I can make an informed decision on the glues' and my pattern for disposal.

Jim

The PVA will last a little longer than one year...as long as it doesn't get frozen...but it may get thicker and harder to work with. Glue is best puchased in quanities that you can use in a reasonable amount of time. Even though smaller containers cost more, they cost less than throwing out materials that become unusable!

Polyurethane glues like Gorrilla brand are greatly affected by moisture (that's what cures them) so once they are open, they definitely do not last a long time. An open bottle at 10 months is likely to be "getting there". I only buy that stuff in very small bottles and only buy it when I know I need to use it...which isn't very often.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what to tell you about "judging if glue is still good"...if you have doubts, head to the store for new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim

I found a nearly full gallon of Titebond II that had been misplaced in the back of my paint storage cabinet. This glue has to be at least 8 years old. I may never have found it, if I hadn't built my new shop.

In the past 3-4 months, I have been using it on unimportant shop cabinets, and jigs. It seams to be fine, other then being much thicker then what I am used too. I am too tight to waste it, so I will find uses for it all.

Other then this gallon, I always buy glue in one gallon jugs to save money. And I have always used it until it is used up. Always being longer then the one year shelf life.

By the way, the one year shelf life is what Titebond has always claimed. But we know better then that.

How many of you eat food that is beyond the expiration date? I know I have a million times. (Ok; maybe a few hundred times! )

You can add a small amount of water to glues like titebond I and II. As long as the glue will pour, it should be fine to use on all your projects where you would other wise use this type of glue. My 8-10 year old glue is to old in my opinion to use on projects for paying customers, but it is fine for my projects. And if I needed glue, I may try it on all projects, not just mine.
    Last edited by mike lucas; 01-01-2005 at 10:03 PM.

I found an old (2-3 years) bottle of Titebond #1 on the back of a shelf. How did I know it was bad? The inch of mold at the top of the glue was my best indication. Not sure if this helps or not, but its a sure way to tell when good glue goes bad...

Wonder if that food Mike was talking about had mold on it Kinda like the 5 second rule aint it?

I date mine. When I buy it I put the date I bought it on the bottle. Generally I go through a gallon in one year. I remember when I finished my first gallon; I thought I was hot stuff! BTW, towards the end of the year, it does get thicker - Titebond II.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I usually date all my fishing line because life of it is limited, but can be extended if stored in a refrigator. Guess I'll date my glue, just to give me a point of reference.

Thanks all,
    Jim

They always said a year on titebond. Don't really know. But I use about 5-gallon a year, so I don't worry about it. Mine gets used up fairly quickly.

The Polyurethane ..Gorilla glue goes off fast and you really can't tell. I don't use it anymore! I had too many joints fail and I don't trust it.

Epoxy: Seems to not have a shelf life...It will last! Changes color though...turns a bit red.

PVA: about 1 1/2 years I think is safe....The Lee Valley seems quite strong has has more the properties of Hyde or Rivet glue
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I recently bought some CA glue from Rockler and did not notice it had turned hard until I got home. I took it back and every bottle on the shelf was hard -- May want to check it before you buy it! Had to go to Woodcraft for some.
    Jerry

Again thanks for the useful information, I'm sure it will help all who read this thread.

Jim

I saw a post a couple years ago by someone who claimed to be one of the chemists who developed PVA glue.

He said that it could be thinned with very small quantities of water, back to original thickness, and was good indefinitely, even with thinning, until the glue started to clot (a chemical reaction, not just evaporation) - at that point it was time to toss.

I don't know if he used the term clot, but I transfer from my gallon of PVA to smaller applicators, and keep refilling them. Occasionally I find what I would call a clot in the bottom of an applicator bottle that has been refilled too often (before it was empty). Not yet solid, but globs together. If you have a clot, you will know it.

I'm not eating dinner at Mike's!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    I'm not eating dinner at Mike's!
    Ah! come on, my cooking really sticks to you! Wood you please stop by?

Beleive me when I tell you that, I throw all food out before it gets 10 year old.