Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue shelf life?

Spend about a thousand bucks a year on milk thats 1 day past it's prime. My wife has a thing about that. If it smells good drink it, milk that is.

A Titebond rep told me....

At a show in Columbus a few years ago, a rep from Titebond gave me this test:

Place a dab of glue on your thumb, and then squish it with a finger. When you pull the thumb & finger appart, if the glue strings out like hot cheese on a pizza, then it's no good. I've used this test ever since then & it always seems to be accurate when compared with the actual age of the glue. Just don't pick your nose after.

Ah but little grasshoppers I have yellow carpenters glue at more than 20 (twenty) years old and one bottle of Titebond from more than 10 (ten) years ago both products performing well today. I have purposely kept these samples around to prove the point. Do they get thick - yes. Do they get to the point that when tipped upside down no flow is detectable - yes. So I add some water and stir if it is only a little thicker than usual. This depends on how long it was since I last thinned it out. If it has gotten REAL thick, like I can't get it to pour, I add some water and pop it in the microwave with the lid off and heat at the defrost setting - it will blend itself somewhat but once thinned you can shake to mix it.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Sen Say, all that work to save rice from mice, when farmer needs money is shamful

I keep my CA glue in the refrigerator, and do the same with my Unibond 800. Lasts much longer this way. Teh epoxy lasts forever, but the color change is from the can, according to West.
    Alan

Speaking of DIY Woodworking, I just watched that episode last night. Stealth gloat (recorded on my DVR from Dish so I can watch it when I want to). That has got to be the worst woodworking show on the air. He used a band saw to cut the curve for an arts and craft table and then used a stationary belt sander to smooth it out. He didn't even come close to matching the line and said it looked good. This show will be deleted from my search on the DVR so I don't have to see it anymore!

Yeah, I noticed that too. But later in the episode the radius was smooth. Must of had the camera guy finish it for him.

At least he had a pretty nice dog.

Glue is rather cheap. If you question the stability of the glue, chuck it and spend $4 antother.

3 bits, adjusted for inflation

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Good point on glue dates...

But where does it start it's date? Just after the factory caps it or when you open it? How long has that bottle been on the store shelf? Now it is starting to get stamped "date" just like those food stuff....?....

Gonna have a born on date just like the King! Course I've not drank/tasted glue since grade school But how is one to know?