Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Style Side Table Project Started

Shaker Style Side Table Project Started

I got started on a Shaker-style side table this afternoon. This is essentially the same design as I used for the nightstands that I made for my nieces a couple years ago sans the drawer. Theirs were made from poplar as shown in the first picture; this one will be in black walnut from material harvested on the property back in August 2000. The design is from Thos Moser and is detailed starting on page 270 of his book, Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture. I decided not to do the drawer for this particular unit both because I didn't need it and because I wanted this to be a very fast project start to finish.

The new table will serve as a lamp table in our soon to be ex-dining room re-crowned "home theater" which should be finally put together next weekend with the exception of repainting the room. The new couch arrives on Saturday...

Today's activities revolved around the legs. The material was already pre-milled to the correct size other than length due to an aborted buffet project from a number of months ago. (Poor planning on my part there...) After shortening them slightly to the required 26 1/4" length, I cut the mortises for the apron using my dedicated mortiser and then cut the tapers on the table saw using a fixed tapering jig that I made up specifically for this design for repeated use over time. The mortises were then cleaned up with a chisel...see the thread titled, "Sharp is as sharp does..." in the OT Forum for more commentary on that...

Tomorrow, I'll mill up the apron stock, dry fit and glue the basic structure together. The top will also be cut out of the panel I previously made for the top of that aborted buffet, chamfered on the bottom edge and then everything will get sanded and ready for finishing.

This is a really nice design with a dainty feel and a fast build. In fact, I'll likely make a companion piece later that is slightly taller, a bit wider and less deep to serve as a free-standing side table in the same room between a door and a window. The walnut matches the LCD TV table previously made as well as the natural edge coffee table that will also be in the room. The species will serve to unify things in the room from a design perspective.

Nightstands previously built:

Today's work pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-01-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim -

I don't see any blood spots or bandages. What's up with that?

That looks like a nice simple, elegant design. What style couch is coming?

Ted

Great start Jim...Sorry about the slip....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Are there supposed to be "Nightstand Previously Built ": pictures?? I don't see those -- but the rest looks good.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    Are there supposed to be "Nightstand Previously Built ": pictures?? I don't see those -- but the rest looks good.
    There is a link to a picture in the post...it should be appearing on your screen just below the caption and it's somewhat gold in color. If not, the direct link is:

http://sawsndust.com/images/kids-fur...ghtstand-2.jpg
    --

Jim, I like that table style alot. I built one without the drawer and am currently building one just like you described for that space between the window and door (what good is that space anyhow?). What size were you thinking? Mine is 36" W x 32" H X 10" deep. After see how short the side aprons have to be, I'm not sure I like it, it just looks too tall to be stable at that depth. I'm going to go ahead and cut the leg tapers and dry-fit before final judgement.

Very nice Jim, can't wait to see the finished project.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I take that comment back, I put it all together and its not nearly as top heavy as I thought it was going to be. The dimensions are actually W36" x H33" x D10"

Nice looking side table. How much chamfer will the top have?

If you don't mind my asking, have you looked into building your own loudspeakers for the new home theater? There's a lot of value to be had in DIY speakers, and someone with your talents could assemble a quality case in no time.

-Steve

Looking good as usual Jim. You know I love that Moser stuff...built several of his pieces already in cherry. I'm anxious to see how it looks in walnut.

And since you mentioned your home theater room, if you need a very nice center channel, I'm trying to find a good home for a KEF Model 90 center that I must get rid of.

Have you planned a finish for the table yet? Your usual BLO mix?

Bob

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Jim,

Great start, can't wait till the finished pics.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I take that comment back, I put it all together and its not nearly as top heavy as I thought it was going to be. The dimensions are actually W36" x H33" x D10"
    Darren, I hope you'll share some photos of that piece...it sounds very interesting and is very close to the dimensions I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Elias
    How much chamfer will the top have?
    Not as much as the original...I cheated and used my raised panel bit to deal with the top quickly! So rather than about 2" wide, it's more like an inch and a half with a 3/8" edge thickness. The latter is exactly what I wanted. Honestly, given the angles that one views the table, the length of the chamfer isn't all that important. The fact that there is one means the table will be just a little lighter and more delicate in appearance and it works with the tapered legs very nicely. That's one thing about many Shaker designs...and much of Moser's work...so many aspects of the pieces are very complimentary and with great subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Elias
    If you don't mind my asking, have you looked into building your own loudspeakers for the new home theater? There's a lot of value to be had in DIY speakers, and someone with your talents could assemble a quality case in no time.
    I have a Sony home theater system that has nice compact speakers and a very good sub. No plans to go beyond that at present. Further, the system was "cheap"....AMEX points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    Have you planned a finish for the table yet? Your usual BLO mix?
    BLO followed by shellac for clarity. I don't know if I'll coat the top with anything else at this point.

-------

Ok, here are the progress pictures for today. This project is essentially "done" except for finishing. One of the things I like about these tables is that you can build them FAST! Time for a nice Shiraz...and that pork roast we were supposed to have yesterday before my little accident shifted us to grilled cheese and tomato soup...
    • Cutting the tenons. For speed, I just used the TS and nibbled away
    • Dry fit...everything is just peachy! Tenons are snug
    • Cutting the chamfer on the top using a panel cutter in the router table
    • Sanding...sanding...sanding...
    • All glued up and after a little extra fine sanding, ready to finish!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-02-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    --

Very nice, Jim...can't wait to see it with finish. Great job, as usual.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Jim,

First of all sorry to hear about your mishap Don't like blood especially my own
    I like your shaker side table, looking good One of my favorite projects I completed many years ago was a pencil post bed with matching night tables made out of cherry. It was a fun project. My dimensions are probably a little smaller; 20"w 15" d and 29" h
    Good luck on your project!

Jim B

Dimensions on this table is 27" tall and 18" square. The apron is 5" which at first might seem more than needed, but the angle you view it when standing makes that appear a bit "shorter". The legs are an inch and a quarter at the top but taper to 3/4" square at the bottom.