Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Thomas compressor. Did I make a mistake?

Just ordered a Thomas compressor. Did I make a mistake?

I just pressed the order button at Amazon for a Thomas T-2820ST twin hot dog style compressor. I guess I should be writing a "gloat", but I'm a bit worried.

From everything I have read this is the best small compressor around. With only a 400 square foot shop, space is at a real premium. I’m replacing a rattling little Emglo compressor.

Anyhow, here's my concern; when you go to the Thomas website you get a notice that they are currently consolidating their operations and will not be able to fill any orders for 90-120 days. I'm told that this notice has been posted for at least the last six months. My local tool monger tells me that he's worried that they are moving their manufacturing of this product line off-shore. He tells me that he's not sure when or if he'll ever see them again. Or if it will be the same high quality product.

So, in an effort to get the model that everyone seems to love, I went to Amazon who showed six in stock and pushed the buy button. It says the product is sold by Amazon rather than by another seller so I will have Amazon's customer satisfaction guarantee to rely on.

Anyone out there familiar with Thomas and what's going on there? Anyone have a Thomas compressor? Any comments? Did I just spend $600 foolishly?

Thanks for your input.

Scott in Montana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Scott,

IMHO, GET....YOUR....MONEY....BACK.

You can get a vertical 5 horse, oil filled, 12 SCFM, quiet, 60 Gal compressor and save a couple hundred bucks as well. Every oil free unit I've ever heard was pretty darn noisy. A vertical unit most likely won't take up any more floor space, and you'll have A LOT more compressor. If your goal was to use around the homestead, a hundred feet of good quality rubber hose is pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Mike Harrison; 12-06-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Mike Harrison

IF you get one and IF it works, and IF you don't need to get it serviced then you're golden.

On a side note, I bought one of these for a little less and am quite happy with it:

Surprisingly, it keeps up with the blower nozzle (running constantly of course).

If you have an older Emglo, prior to DeFalt buying them up, they made good compressors. Just have it rebuilt.

Hi Mike,

I forgot to mention that my compressor has to be mounted on a shelf... otherwise I agree with you 100%. Would love to have a Quincy or big Rol-air.

Sorry I didn't mention that.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    If you have an older Emglo, prior to DeFalt buying them up, they made good compressors. Just have it rebuilt.
    Hey! I like mine just fine.

Hello Kar,

I agree with you. The little Emglo's seem to be great compressors. This one is having it's regulator replaced right now. The two reasons I decided to replace it are; one, it is so anoyingly loud, and two, I need a bit more air.

Thanks for you input.

Scott

A friend of mine has one of those (or at least one that looks very similar). It seems to work very well. I don't remember how much he paid, but I remember thinking it was expensive.

I'm not sure what makes them more expensive though. Anyone else know?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I bought the T-2820ST Thomas compressor 10 yrs ago and it has performed flawlessly. I also have a smaller, lighter Thomas (single pump, single tank) that also has been great. The fact that they are designed to run continuously makes them a superior product. My neighbor in the beverage industry has installed hundreds of them with few problems. IMHO it is the best portable compressor available.

I know a couple people that have the Thomas compressors and love them.
    One is a contractor the other a DIY guy.

Both really like them. I understood them to be a quality product.

I had the dewalt pictured above and it was a decent unit with one exception that may not apply to your situation. When it was dastardly cold outside we had trouble getting it started and the regulator leaked. More so that the Senco compressor. It was annoying but not something that I could fault them for. I don't work so well in the cold either.

600 bones is a alot of money for a smal compressor though. You could replace a cheaper one three times for that kind of money. In twenty years of contracting I have owned 4 of them in that style. I must admit the Senco one I have now is my favorite and I think I paid about $275 for it new.

I don't know much about Thomas though and maybe these other models just don't compare.

One plus is the American made idea, or at least we think right?

Did a quick look. They appear to be US made. My friend is moving to TX and is going to sell some of his tools. I'll have to see if he's going to sell the compressor.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I believe with amazon if your order is not completed in 30 days they will give you the option of getting your money back. So you don't have to worry about your cash being sucked up into cyberspace.

If your deal with the Thomas turns sour, take a good look at the Makita compressors. They have many of the same features as the Thomas, and are very quiet (for compressors). Amazon also carries the Makita compressors, and they ship for free if you have an Amazon Prime membership. The MAC2400 and the MAC5200 look like good compressors. Also, Northern Tool carries them, but at a slightly higher price than Amazon.

I have an older single tank Thomas compressor. It's quiet. It always starts even on the end of a long 14ga power cord. It's light weight. It runs any nail gun, but not a paint sprayer. When I bought it, it was expensive compared to the PC pancake compressors. No regrets.

I guess in my moment of fret I should have been clearer as to my objectives of getting a new compressor.

The little twin tank Emglo compressor I've had for fifteen years has worked flawlessly. In fact, it's in the shop now having a new regulator put in and will be serving as my portable. What I haven't like about it is its slightly low air volume (3.9 cfm) and the NOISE. It sits up on a shelf in a corner and this seems to act like a megaphone.

So while looking at that empty shelf I got imagining... always a costly action. I thought about separating a compressor pump and its tank and mounting the tank elsewhere, but I didn't have anywhere else to mount the tank other than the attic. Then if I put it in the attic the tank has to less than 22" in diameter and three feet long to get through the attic access. Then there is the matter of positioning drain and puttin a remote valve on the drain. Plus what about the condensation from the tank being in the uninsulated attic and subjected to the Montana winter temperatures? What kind of problems would I encounter with ten degree air? So I axed the idea of a two-piece system.

The Thomas compressor seems to answer most of my needs but at a co$t. It's going to fit nicely up on a shelf that I have moved out of the corner. It has 100% duty cycle with a 5 cfm output. And it will be 18 db quieter than my Emglo if their specification are truthful.

Now if the company does fold up shop or turn to crap I should be happy. The extra dollars I paid over what the other compressors really won't matter if this one lasts as long as my Emglo. Not to say that it doesn't hurt just a bit now.

Please keep me informed of your information regarding Thomas and their future.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Scott in Montana