Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations: 6" Double Square

Recommendations: 6" Double Square

I posted an ad to the classifieds looking for a 6" double square but not much turned up so I'm looking for recommendations. I've looked at squares from Starrett and Lee Valley, along with Grizzly. The Grizzly is pennies on the dollar at $18 compared to the other two but there are no specifications on the tolerance for the Grizzly model. My preference is an English (Imperial) units model, not SI, with gradations in 1/8", 1/16", 1/32", and 1/64" but I'd be fine with at least 1/32" and 1/64". In that case, the Starrett is a front runner. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brett

Most of the cheapie taiwan/india/china import squares are fine. What you need to have, if you are going to use it where it's important that it's precise, is a master square that you know is square. Your master square doesn't have to be expensive, either, it just has to be checked by a square that you know is square.

Functionally, that square should be fine for woodworking, layout, etc.

I like starrett tools a lot, but it's not necessary to own them if you can find someone else with one (new, not dropped, not used for anything other than reference checking) and check your tools on theirs.

Your reference square then becomes your master square for anything you choose to spawn off of it or check with it, like used squares you'd find at a flea market for $2, etc.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-07-2010 at 2:27 PM.

I'm in the same boat and although I have a 12" Starrett was looking at the LV as it's about 2/3 the cost but still made in the USA. Anyone have one? They make a 4" and 6" but I think it's just the ruler that's different.

You won't go wrong with a Starrett. They not only are more accurate, but IMHO they feel better in the hand.

I have the 6" from LV and it is very handy and accurate. I use it more than my 12" starret (which I also love.)
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Long after the cake and candy that was bought with the money saved, the cheap tool will leave you longing for the higher priced tool.

Long after the money is spent on a premium tool, you will still smile every time you hold it in your hand and admire the fine workmanship.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Starrett or Mitutoyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    I'm in the same boat and although I have a 12" Starrett was looking at the LV as it's about 2/3 the cost but still made in the USA. Anyone have one? They make a 4" and 6" but I think it's just the ruler that's different.
    I don't know what LV has, but if I am going to spend any appreciable amount of money at all, I want an accuracy guarantee, and it needs to be a good one.

I hope it doesn't come across like I don't have starrett stuff. I have a bunch of it...including a 24" try square that nobody here could use with one hand

I love my Starretts. My three Starrett rules have been three of my better purchases. The price difference may seem large, but you'll never feel a need to upgrade and you can hand it down to your grandkids. I probably use the 4" rule more than the 6", but that may just be me.

There may be other brands that are just as good - I don't know.

David Weaver hit the nail on the head. Every woodworker should have a reference square. This is a tool that is exceptionally accurate in its level of squareness. It should be used as a test reference only and stored protected where it can not be damaged. If you would like a really cheap one, the triangular clear plastic drafting squares are both cheap and accurate. Other than that your choices are ones with published levels of runout my makers such as Starrett, Mitotoyo, Browne & Sharp, and SPI. Similarly, a reference straight edge is also useful for both hand tool use and power tool setup. The Veritas steel 24" one is a real steal (pun intended) at its price and the one I have when measured on an Micro-Vu optical coordinate measuring machine at work tested out at less than half of its stated tolerance allowance.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I don't know what LV has, but if I am going to spend any appreciable amount of money at all, I want an accuracy guarantee, and it needs to be a good one.

I hope it doesn't come across like I don't have starrett stuff. I have a bunch of it...including a 24" try square that nobody here could use with one hand
    The LV lists a similar accuracy to the Starrett and I'm sure they stand behind their product. Of course a Starrett is a Starrett.

I have the LV double square. It is square and is a pleasure to use.

Flip side - I just checked my engineer square from LV and it is not square. I bought it several years ago and I probably dropped it. Not sure how to fix it now?

Are you sure you know which is out of square?

It's nice, if cost isn't an object, to have one single certified square that stays in a package, like Dave mentioned.

Fortunately, I got a buddy who bought a starrett 6" certified square so I could check all of my used starrett, moore and wright and B&S gear. If he didn't have it, I would have bought one. I think he paid about $220 for one? (maybe that was the non-certified one) There is an excellent dealer in my city that I've gone to for straight edges and other such things, but I don't know that they normally ship (they did to me, but i'm 3 miles away).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-07-2010 at 4:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Long after the cake and candy that was bought with the money saved, the cheap tool will leave you longing for the higher priced tool.

Long after the money is spent on a premium tool, you will still smile every time you hold it in your hand and admire the fine workmanship.

jtk
    Agree completely!

I have a 4" Double Square from LV...it works just fine.
    However...as I can afford it, I am upgrading to Starrett.
    I have the 6" square and grab it more often than the LV now. I use Starrett at work daily.

A reference square is a must to check things periodicly.
    For rules, I have been using SPI that I got from Enco on one of their sales and have been completely satisfied with them.

I have the 4" double square from LV - excellent. I have a Starret 6" double square, also excellent. Both are USA made and if I had to do it again, I would buy the 4" LV.