Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Learning Bench (Pics)-(LONG)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Hi John,

great job and good-looking bench.
    Although I'm not a big fan of storage under the workbench you concept inspires me to design me a useful storage under my workbench.
    How do you like the Sjöbergs top? I have anolder Sjöbergs bench with square dog holes and like its versatility. But sometimes I wish the top would be heavier.
    Do you always retract the blades of your planes before storing them? Just a thought, how about attaching some kind of blanket (this stuff which is often used for jewelry chest) to the plane shelf?
    Did I see your Systainer collection in the background of the second pic?

Regards,

Christian
    Sheeeesh...You guys continue to give me too much credit, but it is appreciated!

Christian, to address you inquiry; I had considered some type of "poofy" material, but elected to keep the open area all wood. I do not retract the irons on the planes. Instead, what I did is this: Each "parking spot" for the planes is divided with a piece of Walnut, approx. 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. What is hard to see in the pic is that, at the bottom of the rack, right where the Cherry stop goes across, there is an additional 1/8" thick piece of Walnut, which acts as a "rest" for the toe of the planes. That effectively raises that part of the plane throat enough to keep it from resting on the iron. Also, the divider strips are just pinned in place with a 23ga. pinner, so that, if there is a need in the future to reconfigure the space for different planes, I can do so easily. If you like, I could easily shoot a picture of the rack without the planes on it. It's really not rocket science and a culmination of ideas, primarily accumulated from the place we know as the Creek!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Sheeeesh...You guys continue to give me too much credit, but it is appreciated!

Christian, to address you inquiry; I had considered some type of "poofy" material, but elected to keep the open area all wood. I do not retract the irons on the planes. Instead, what I did is this: Each "parking spot" for the planes is divided with a piece of Walnut, approx. 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. What is hard to see in the pic is that, at the bottom of the rack, right where the Cherry stop goes across, there is an additional 1/8" thick piece of Walnut, which acts as a "rest" for the toe of the planes. That effectively raises that part of the plane throat enough to keep it from resting on the iron. Also, the divider strips are just pinned in place with a 23ga. pinner, so that, if there is a need in the future to reconfigure the space for different planes, I can do so easily. If you like, I could easily shoot a picture of the rack without the planes on it. It's really not rocket science and a culmination of ideas, primarily accumulated from the place we know as the Creek!
    Thanks for the explanation, I didn't notice that in the pic. Now it's clear to me that you have thought of everything. Very well done.

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Thanks for the explanation, I didn't notice that in the pic. Now it's clear to me that you have thought of everything. Very well done.

Christian
    Christian, not sure if I thought of everything, but I tried. More than anything, my attempt was to incorporate much of what I have learned here at SMC. The list of folks responsible for the inadvertent input would be far too long to list here!

BTW, yes, those are some of my Festool Systainers, lined up as soldiers ready to "attack"! Also, thus far, I am quite happy with the top. You're right that it is a bit on the light side, but hence the beefier base. If folks get the "stock" frame base for it, I could easily see where they would get the wrong impression of Sjobergs. Might be OK for someone using the bench for simple assembly, but not much more than that, I'm afraid.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

John,

Nice job all the way! Now, since I have the same bench top I can offer you a suggestion. Down the road you should add a trough to the back of the bench to store frequently used tools and also to act as a catcher for tools that could fall off of the bench DAMHIKT! Make sure you make it big enough so it will hold a plane or another good sized tool. I made mine too small and have to redo it one of these days. When you build it, make it at the same level as the bench top so you can clamp to it.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collison
    John,

Nice job all the way! Now, since I have the same bench top I can offer you a suggestion. Down the road you should add a trough to the back of the bench to store frequently used tools and also to act as a catcher for tools that could fall off of the bench DAMHIKT! Make sure you make it big enough so it will hold a plane or another good sized tool. I made mine too small and have to redo it one of these days. When you build it, make it at the same level as the bench top so you can clamp to it.

Gene
    Gene, a suggestion worthy of consideration! I basically put the shelf right underneath the work area to hopefully, serve that purpose. I find that I can even lay the big #5 on its side on the shelf, with little fear of knocking it off. BUT, having said that, I'll use the bench for a while and see. Good chance your suggestion may be something I opt to do, as you say, down the road. I'll live with it for a bit and see how I like it. I can certainly see where the trough on the back would be handier but, again knowing my own habits, I'm afraid it may start to accumulate unwanted/un-needed garbage, as well! Hey, so I'm not the neatest person around. So sue me!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Great job - both with the bench and the description

John, I was saving this thread to read at breakfast and was not disappointed (by the way, the breakfast was good too).

I like it when people explain why they did things a certain way, and you did a great job of that.

The plane rack is a perfect use of the space. I may copy that idea (even though my benches don't look anywhere as nice as yours, they do have an open cavity like yours)

I had the oportunity to see this in person on Friday afternoon. Man is it one sweet looking bench. It is rock solid as well.

Great job on the bench John!

John,

I too liked what you did with the legs and end of the bench frame. Very nice job of using different woods to highlite each other.

Isn't good that "we who are not as good as" most of the other pros can tap into that vast pool of knowledge?

By the way Frank why are you eating breakfast at 1:30AM? Were you that hungry?

John, looks like the darned thing will fallapart any minute. (He he he). Great job. Bet ya won't wear it out this year.

Somehow I missed this thread yesterday....

Nice job John, you ended up with one solid bench.

Now don't be afraid to use it. Next time you post a picture of it I expect to see some chisel and saw marks.

Sweet stuff, John! I'm really getting inspired to make my own bench....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

WOW!!! A well thought out project, including, style beauty and function. Most importantly you gained experience with new techniques, and methods that you had not used before. I try to make every project a learning experience in some way ( large or small) whether in the design or the building. You have something that you can proudly display and use, then pass it on to your kids.
    Great Job.
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

Dude!!!!!!! That is a super job!!!! No you got a fine place to make some shavin's and plenty of planes to make 'em with.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That, my friend can be describe with a single word..... "AWESOME".

I will begin work on my first bench in a couple of weeks. I can only "hope" it turns out half as well as yours.

GREAT job!

I've said it before and I find need to say it again: You guys are all way, WAY too kind! Much appreciated.

Frank, I've seen your projects. Copy away, but I can only imagine your improved versions will make mine look silly!

Hey Jeff, think they'll have a nice WW shop on that there cruise ship you'll be on in a couple weeks?

Jim, remember that Frank's retired. He can do most anything he wants in each 24-hr time frame. Back in my younger days, I had breakfast a LOT of times at 1:30 in the morning. ('Course, seeing as to how "bar time" was 1:00am.... )

Bill, if that thing falls apart, I'm quittin' woodworking!

Whatdya' mean "...afraid to USE it..", Nic? You're not saying I have to actually do WORK on it, do you? But...., but....., but what if it gets a scratch or something like that in it?!

Chris, with that "new" shop in the works, NOW is the perfect time to do it, my friend! You've got the tools and the skills to knock one out, so why not?

Thanks Charlie, it really was a good experience, though I doubt any of my girls would be too interested in it. On the other hand, they might get a decent buck or two for it at auction and buy themselves a dress or two.

Terry, not nearly as big or as nice as your monster bench, but it should serve the purpose just fine.

Bob, first of all, please allow me to give you a big, fat "WELCOME" to the Creek! It's truly a great place to hang out. Take your shoes off, wade on in and make yourself ta' home! And, to repeat myself one more time, if a klutz like myself can pull it off, ANY guy or gal here at SMC can do it, though most would probably make mine look a little silly! That's OK, too.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas