Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Learning Bench (Pics)-(LONG)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    John,
    By the way Frank why are you eating breakfast at 1:30AM? Were you that hungry?
    Jim, the time on Saw Mill Creek was screwed up when it stamped my post that you are referring to. I actually had breakfast at 6:30 (Eastern Standard Time). Some may argue that 6:30 is also too early, but I thin that it's an ideal time for breakfast.

John,

Very nice job. You should certainly be proud to have that in your shop! I'd also like to say congratulations on "pulling the trigger"--I suspect there are a lot of us out here that 1) collect tools we may not have used yet and 2) see techniques and ideas from fellow creekers (and other places) and think 'I'd like to try that some day'... but 'some day' can be a little elusive. Maybe we can be inspired to get started on a learning bench too!

Keith

John:
    Don't underestimate you daughters. Over the last 8 years, about half of my best student technicians( scene shop carpenters, assistant Tech directors, ligting designers) have all been girls. They seem to have more patience and the ability to think a problem through more than the guys. Who knows one day they may come into the shop and surprise you. I have had more than one mother complain that I have made their daughter into a tomboy,( needless to say dad is always thrilled ) when they take my classes. Even if your daughters don't take up the craft, they have a very creative dad who can take a lifeless piece of wood and create something with it.
    Once again awesome job!!!
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

John,

Your new workbench is a beauty. Tell the truth, in the morning when you first enter your workshop with your coffee cup in hand you take a few minutes to admire the new bench...don't cha

Great work

John,

Super job on the bench, it looks great, I appreciate your sharing your design process with us.

Jay

Beautiful workbench John. I know you're going to treasure it every time you use it.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I like it John. I REALLY like it. I'm especially proud of your little collection...you know the one...hiding there...under that massive dissiduous carcase. Congratulations and enjoy...enjoy...ENJOY!
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Sheeesh....I thought this thread was history some time ago! Thank you Louis for bringing it up again, as well as to all those who posted comments after my last, long-winded reply.

As it happens, quite timely, as I was just talking to LOML about it yesterday evening. I truly don't know what I've done for all these years without it! I use it for just about everything I do in the shop now! And, as I had suspected, it's already seen use for both, sanding and hammering on! Glad I left the bottom in a relatively open condition! If anyone has considered building one, I highly recommend and no, you do NOT have to be a Neander to appreciate the amount of functionality it adds to one's shop. Do it and you'll be happy you did!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great job John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John,
    Well executed and thought out design. Don't worry about the "unused" space to the left of the plane rack. Those calorie powered tools will multiply almost overnight sometimes. I'm sure it will be filled with more planes in the blink of an eye.

Mark

Very, very nice bench John!! I love the curl and the dowels. Looks like that bench will last you a lifetime!

Thanks yet again, gents! Also, FWIW, if any of you are interested in doing something on this order, Woodcraft currently has this exact top on sale currently! (No affiliation, blah, blah, blah..... ) If you have a WC within a reasonable distance, might be worth a little ride. Shipping would probably negate much, if not all, of the savings.

Mark, you just ain't kiddin' about those calorie burners multiplying! I swear that they propagate like bunny rabbits! I almost have enough to build an additional rack, though I think I'll wait until I get a couple other pieces to round out my users.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Learning Bench

Hi Spring!

Hey, bud, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was something that you were going to sit on while your daughter was "learning" you how to use all of your tools. MAN! Was I ever WRONG!!

John, you are a scholar and an artist. That is one BEAUTIFUL piece of "shop furniture". I wish that the cabinets in my kitchen was as inspiring and functional as your "Learning Bench".

I may have to reconsider all of the nasty things that I've said to you in the past - Welllll - maybe SOME of them. Now why don't you go and clean up that MESS behind the georgeous bench?

Great job, "Badgerman"!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hi Spring!

Great job, "Badgerman"!!

Dale T.
    Dale, coming from one whom I believe to be one of the Masters of this craft, your words mean an awful lot to me, my friend! Just trying to add a tiny bit craftwork to this end of Wisconsin. A sincere "THANKS"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Again.....

Revisiting the bench again makes me want to say "'absolutely BEAUTIFUL". Great job John. You should be proud!! And Randy Moss didn't even help you !Terrific craftsmanship and results!!
    Jerry