Thread: Any auto mechanics out there?

Any auto mechanics out there?

I have a 4 month old Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with just over 3500 miles. I love this truck, it is a beautiful, very well equipped vehicle, that will be used as my new baby carriage for my first grandchild. We are planning to get an extended warranty (probably 7 year, 70000 miles) because of all the things including tech stuff that could go wrong.

Anyway, the other day I back out of my driveway (which has a slight incline), stop, shift to drive and nothing happens . The truck won't move, the shifter shifts but you can hit the gas and nothing, not forward not reverse, just dead in the middle of the street with the engine running .

So I get towed to Dodge and they replace the transmission shift solenoid pack because it is shorting out. Now the truck runs great and of course everything is covered under the new vehicle warranty cause as I said this is a brand spanking new truck.

My husband and I know nothing about this stuff so can someone answer a few questions.
    1. Is it common for this part to go out?
    2. Is it common for this part to go out so soon?
    3. Can this cause other problems?
    4. Should I be concerned?
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Please do not use this as a Chrysler bashing thread . I know everyone has a favorite vehicle/maker, etc. There were alot of reasons that I ended up with a Dodge not the least of which is that I don't trust the local Ford dealerships to service my vehicle, even if my life depended on it.

Again, thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-07-2010 at 1:58 PM.
    Lori K

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. It may have just been a defective part.

Lori,

Keep a record of all repairs under warranty as transmissions often have hidden extensions if some defects and/or design problems have been noted. Also take a look on allpar.com for plenty of info on mopar transmissions.

Lori, I sent you a PM.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

We had a Chrysler car and my mother a Chrysler van. Both had no end of transmission problems. When our car had about 8 or 9k on it, we also had some kind of solenoid part replaced in the transmission. I'd stop at a red light and when it turned green you'd step on the gas and the RPMs would go up but you wouldn't go anywhere. There'd be a clunk and off you go. Also, when you got off the freeway or whatever, when you were slowing down, it would shift from 2 to 1 when you were still going 25-30 mpg making it feel like you got rear ended. I know of only one guy, also with a Ram 1500 that hasn't had any issues with his Chrysler product. And he beats the crap out of it driving off road, jumping and what not... go figure. I drove around a 1500 as a loaner when the car was in the shop and I really liked it.

Thank you all for your responses.
    David I hope you are right that it was a one time thing.
    I did get an excellent explanation from Bob T,
    but Chuck you are right and I will keep a log of any issues that come up.
    Bryan, bite your tongue, I truly love this vehicle and would be devastated to have continuous problems.

Happy Holidays to all
    Lori K

Blog Entries
    Bryan,

Sounds like the shifter solenoid... the SO's old Saturn (the model, not her specific car) was notorious for a big clunk when changing gears.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Bryan,

Sounds like the shifter solenoid... the SO's old Saturn (the model, not her specific car) was notorious for a big clunk when changing gears.
    Maybe it was that part. This was a few years ago. It took many trips to several dealers before they would even acknowledge there was a problem. They "fixed" it under warranty but it still never worked right. I wanted to just push that car over a cliff.

I thought the trucks didn't use Chrysler transmissions anyway...? Aren't they made by Allison or Borg Warner?

I wouldn't worry about it. Say what you want about US made cars, but I think the trucks are built a little differently. 450k miles out of an abused F150 isn't bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    Maybe it was that part. This was a few years ago. It took many trips to several dealers before they would even acknowledge there was a problem. They "fixed" it under warranty but it still never worked right. I wanted to just push that car over a cliff.

I thought the trucks didn't use Chrysler transmissions anyway...? Aren't they made by Allison or Borg Warner?

I wouldn't worry about it. Say what you want about US made cars, but I think the trucks are built a little differently. 450k miles out of an abused F150 isn't bad is it?
    Most likely the transmissions in your minivan and car were from the A604/41TE family of transmissions (I'd need to know vehicle and model year to confirm). That transmission was Chrysler's first foray into an electonically controlled transmission (as opposed to mechanical/hydraulic) and was, frankly, launched 6 months to a year before its time. (It was tied into a vehicle launch that resulted in accelerated timing). We were playing catch-up on durability for years.

The transmission in the Ram 1500 truck family is the 545RFE. While still electronically controlled, it is a totally different design than the A604.

Both transmissions are made by Chrysler in Kokomo, Indiana (but at different plants).

BTW -that solenoid pack in the A-604 - the solenoids were made by Borg Warner (at least they used to be...BW may have sold it to another supplier.)
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Probably just one defective part. As to an extended warranty, save your money as they aren't worth it. If you put that money instead into a investment account and draw for repairs after your factory warranty has run, you will be farther ahead. Extended warrantys are very good for the people selling them not the consumer!

I got a brand spanking new Chevy 2500 Cargo van at work. The
    differential went out in the first 3000 miles. Dealer fixed it and it has been flawess for the last 75,000. Guess my point it bad parts happen from time to time.

There is a Dodge dealer right by my house I drive by everyday and look at those trucks. Someday I will have one!

Scott

Solenoids are electro0mechanical parts and sometimes they just go bad. A coil with hundreds to thousands of windings has a lot of real estate that could have defects. On the good side, if it makes it for a few hundred hours of operation then it's probably good for thousands...

I wouldn't worry about it, most likely you will never have another problem. Had a Dodge Dakota pickup with V8 and auto, put 145,000 on it and the only problems were starter motor at 55,000 and radiator at 105,000. Plus I towed a car trailer and race car all over NC and had no transmission problems.

Bob