Thread: Anyone ever use Lamello's INVIS?

Anyone ever use Lamello's INVIS?

I saw a Craigslist ad earlier today about a Lamello invisible joining system and, since I'd never heard of it, I took a couple minutes to investigate. Here's the info from Lamello:

http://www.lamello.com/en/products/i...ng-system.html

It isn't something I can see a use for in my life at the present moment, but it does strike me as a kind of interesting (although expensive) solution for certain types of problems. And for those problems, I can see it being a really awesome solution.

Anyway, since I've never heard it mentioned anywhere, has anyone ever used the system? Are the joints strong? If you do use the system, are there creative ways that you have found to use it? Just curious, 'cos all I really need to do is plunk down even more for expensive European tooling...

That is interesting and crazy cool. I watched the video without reading and kept wondering where it was going then the end...

If anyone besides a company like Lamello made it I would say it would never work in practice, but one things for sure each joint would probably cost a pretty penny and there are cheaper ways of doing it but would be permanent though, I only assume you can "unscrew" them, I didn't bother to determine that.

I can see where a Euro (Danish et al) style builder could find uses for it but unlike most tools I can't see myself ever using it except to baffle my friends at watching it work.

It's a pretty neat system. They usually have a booth at IWF and AWFS and leave the tools and hardware out for people to play with. It really works and the connections are great for knock-down assemblies that are tamper proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If anyone besides a company like Lamello made it I would say it would never work in practice, but one things for sure each joint would probably cost a pretty penny and there are cheaper ways of doing it but would be permanent though, I only assume you can "unscrew" them, I didn't bother to determine that.
    Hadn't thought about that aspect, but you are right. If this was the Harbor Freight INVIS system instead of the Lamello, I never would have bothered. Somehow I trust Lamello to get it right.

And yes, you can unscrew them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Wong View Post
    It's a pretty neat system. They usually have a booth at IWF and AWFS and leave the tools and hardware out for people to play with. It really works and the connections are great for knock-down assemblies that are tamper proof.
    Did the joints seem reasonably strong?

I had not seen the template before, but the fastner has been around
    at least 2 years, maybe more.

The drill attachment is a magnet, reversing the drill reverses the magnet
    and un-screws the fastner.

Wow - the enginerd within me loves that tool!

I'd like to tinker with the tool for myself, but I don't see may applications of it for me. I would probably be great for some of the newer trendier styles

Out of idle curiosity does anyone know the price tag on the system?

hmmm...that was getting a bit boring until the end when the guy pulls out the party trick part.

How much do those little bushings cost? It seems like a good tool for the industrial design minimalist furniture crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Out of idle curiosity does anyone know the price tag on the system?
    When I dug around, I figured out that Amazon carries it. The drilling template looked to be about $320. The funny magnetic driver was about $180. I'm not exactly sure how the consumables work, but I think the hardware is (gulp!) about $4-$7 per connection. Not sure if you could find things cheaper elsewhere. I'm not buying it to play around with, that's for sure.

This is not a new technology. Stair parts manufactures came out with a similar item a few years ago.
    http://www.mantels-stairs.com/Catalog_c357237.html

I was not overly impressed with the strength of the joint without glue. The connectors cost up to $10.00 apiece, depending on volume.
    It seems there is always a way to hide fasteners if you have to. Using 4 to mount a post at a cost of $8.00 each just makes it a big dent in profit with little sales appeal.

Richard

The ease-align IS the Lamello INVIS system. I know it isn't new, I was soliciting feedback on the strength of the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    When I dug around, I figured out that Amazon carries it. The drilling template looked to be about $320. The funny magnetic driver was about $180. I'm not exactly sure how the consumables work, but I think the hardware is (gulp!) about $4-$7 per connection. Not sure if you could find things cheaper elsewhere. I'm not buying it to play around with, that's for sure.
    Yep as I expected from Lamello it isn't cheap and quite frankly I would have to look for uses instead of needing it. But I imagine it solves a problem for some people that nothing else would.

Did the joints seem reasonably strong?
    Yes, the joint itself is strong and a lot more durable than something like a post and cam connection typical of many rta furniture. The application of the system I suppose is geared for commercial work where there would be professional installers putting the assembly together. I can see applications used in institutional settings like libraries, schools and other public buildings where you wouldn't want employees or the public messing with the furnishings.
    Last edited by Ted Wong; 12-08-2010 at 9:00 PM.

The ease-align IS the Lamello INVIS system. I know it isn't new, I was soliciting feedback on the strength of the joints.
    While it is always difficult to read someone's attitude in a written post, I detect a shortness in your response. You said you never heard of it, and then you said you knew it wasn't new. Well which was it. I also commented with my opinion about it's strength and answered someone else's question about cost.
    Maybe I'm just having one of those days.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 12-09-2010 at 3:55 PM.