Thread: Router bowl makers...... a last minute gift

Router bowl makers...... a last minute gift

I made a few router bowl this year, kind of fun and they really did look good. When I first stated I use some scrap to test the bowl bit and my set up and the right depth, all that stuff.

Will I took one of the test boards, a 4/4 x 6 x 10 with me to work to show a friend how it was going and kind of what they would look like. They took it home did a little more sanding on it put a few coats of finish, some plastic feet and now has a dresser top place to put all the stuff from their pockets.

So I went though the scrap pile to see what I could fine. I found some 4/4 x 11 and 4/4 x 12 Blood Wood.

They are really easy and fast to make and they look nice to boot. It doesn't take long to do it and its great for that last minute gift. These are not finished, it just been to cold for that but when they are they really look good and the work very well for all the stuff you take out of your pockets at night.

PC075055.jpg PC075054.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great looking trays, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Great looking trays, Bill.
    Thanks...

It is something to do with the scrap and I can use them for gifts, kill 2 birds with one stone as they say.

Nice Bill!

I got a bowl bit, extender and a couple of templates last year, with nothing but good intentions. I think I could still find them if I had to.

Maybe you inspired me.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Nice Bill!

I got a bowl bit, extender and a couple of templates last year, with nothing but good intentions. I think I could still find them if I had to.

Maybe you inspired me.
    These are so easy to make, it just takes a few minutes to do it, go for it.

And you don't need to use that extender.....

Bill, that's a good idea. I routed a few of the large four compartment chip trays last year. They were about 18 inches across and almost two inches deep. They were fun to make, but wow, I had to get rid of a lot of wood. I used a forstner bit first, then the router. I will have to give your bowls a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I made a few router bowl this year, kind of fun and they really did look good. When I first stated I use some scrap to test the bowl bit and my set up and the right depth, all that stuff.

Will I took one of the test boards, a 4/4 x 6 x 10 with me to work to show a friend how it was going and kind of what they would look like. They took it home did a little more sanding on it put a few coats of finish, some plastic feet and now has a dresser top place to put all the stuff from their pockets.

So I went though the scrap pile to see what I could fine. I found some 4/4 x 11 and 4/4 x 12 Blood Wood.

They are really easy and fast to make and they look nice to boot. It doesn't take long to do it and its great for that last minute gift. These are not finished, it just been to cold for that but when they are they really look good and the work very well for all the stuff you take out of your pockets at night.

PC075055.jpg PC075054.jpg
    Now you've started somethin'.

I've got a lot of scrap! I'll be doin' this 'til spring.

Great quick gifts Bill.. Nice job. And from the scrap pile, you can't beat that.

Bill, I am following you around here it seems. What bowl bit do you like? Does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Bill, I am following you around here it seems. What bowl bit do you like? Does it really matter?
    I really don't think it matters that much just so it a good one. I am using a Freud Dish Carving Bit I got form Woodcraft, I think it is a 3/4 ir 1".

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...eud-19578.aspx