Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol Content for Brands of Denatured Alcohol

Alcohol Content for Brands of Denatured Alcohol

Just some quick MSDS looks provides the following
    (trying to find content for options available locally)

* SLX Kleen Strip denatured alcohol is approximately 40-50% ethyl alcohol and 40-50% methyl alcohol. That sucks! I've used it with good luck, but never figured that it had that much methyl in it. This is the blue stuff at the BORG

* Sunnyside's DNA (product code 834A from them) is somewhat confusing because the ingredients by weight don't add to 100%. At least 85% is DNA, but unsure about the rest. One of the trade names is something to the effect of "95% pure". One of the other ingredients is naptha.

If you find any interesting, please add to the list.

* Klean strip green - 90-100% ethyl alcohol. not cheap, but not terribly expensive. Much better composition than the blue borg stuff.

Methyl, MIBK and Acetic acid (!) make up the remainder.

What's the vinegar for?

I use Lynsol produced by the Savogran Corp.

86-87% Ethanol
    3-4% Methanol
    1% Ethyl Acetate
    1% Methyl Isobutyl Ketone
    <1% Hydrocarbon Solvent
    7% Water

I was just about to post that one. 7% water! As long as it gets out before the finish hardens, I guess. Not much methyl in it.

Startex -
    65-75% ethanol
    15-25% methanol

remainder is ethyl acetate and heptane.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I was just about to post that one. 7% water! As long as it gets out before the finish hardens, I guess. Not much methyl in it.
    I have never had any issues with this brand of alcohol.

I prefer it to the other types with considerable amounts of methanol.

From what I understand about alcohol, it is very difficult to get a pure ethanol since it readily absorbs water from the air.

Most labratory forms of "Absolute" ethanol containe benzene in order to get 99.?% pure ethanol.

I think Tools For Working Wood now carries some type of alcohol that they are calling Anhydrous.

Have you tried that stuff?

J.P.

No. I know I don't have any interest in dealing with something with benzene, though.

Experience counts, so if you've had good luck with it, I'm interested in it, regardless of the water content.

I didn't realize until loafing through my shop while on the phone tonight that I have a gallon of sunnyside DNA. I'll try that first and save the SLX for cleaning brushes and spray guns.

By chemical nature, alcohol must contain a small percentage of water. It's the nature of the substance. Therefore there will always be a small water content.

Benzene is nasty stuff and a known carcinogen. I am more than a little surprised if anything is being offered with a known benzene content. If it is, I would (personally) choose another product before subjecting myself to that. Laboratory grade ethanol with a benzene content in it is always used in a chemical hood with protective gloves. Benzene can be absorbed through the skin, the fumes aren't the only dangerous component. MSDS sheets are an accurate way of finding out ingredients, I'm glad to see y'all using them. Which reminds me, I need to look up what's in the DNA I have sitting around
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 12-08-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

9. Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Klosek View Post
    I have never had any issues with this brand of alcohol.

I prefer it to the other types with considerable amounts of methanol.

From what I understand about alcohol, it is very difficult to get a pure ethanol since it readily absorbs water from the air.

Most labratory forms of "Absolute" ethanol containe benzene in order to get 99.?% pure ethanol.

I think Tools For Working Wood now carries some type of alcohol that they are calling Anhydrous.

Have you tried that stuff?

J.P.
    If something says it's pure ethanol it's ethanol - look at the MSDS.
    there are two ways to get the water out of ethanol 1 - use benzine - then filter out the benzine. I don't know if traces remain but it there were any trace it had better be on the MSDS.
    2 - use special ceramic pellets that trap the water.

Regarding Kleen Strip "Green" DNA The percentage of methanol cannot be found anywhere online, and I've looked hard. All the company claims is that it's made from "95% renewable resources." WTF does THAT mean?

David, if you have a confirmed source for what you wrote, I'd love to see it.

FWIW, here's one woodworker who claims it doesn't even dissolve shellack flakes properly:

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3016
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 03-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.

These guys sell a 95% ethanol DNA: https://www.shellac.net/alcohol.html

They also claim that both Startex and Behkol are also 95% ethanol, and so recommend these. However, they offer no proof and may have been as mislead as everyone else by "careful" advertising. I dunno. (I wish I did.)

Personally, I'm sticking with 100 % ethanol. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Not if I can just rig me that still ...........
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 03-12-2016 at 6:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I'm sticking with 100 % ethanol. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
    Some chemical supply houses might carry pure, un-denatured ethanol . It is used for cleaning lab equipment. A friend of mine once brought some of this home just for fun. If you didn't consume too much, it would only burn on the way down.

All the company claims is that it's made from "95% renewable resources." WTF does THAT mean?
    It is most likely made from grain. It is a renewable resource.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Places that need medicinal grade alcohol sometimes use an ingredient such as bitrex to keep employees from having "drinks on the house".

Mel: Their technique might be to have a short drink on the house,then another short drink,then a LONG drink on the house!!

In Williamsburg,they use Everclear to dissolve shellac flakes in the cabinet shop. But,that practice was begun sometime after I became Toolmaker. I understand you can buy Everclear across the counter in West Va.. Here,it takes a permit,which is kind of silly since there is really no kind of test or no way for the state to know if it is being drunk or not. You just apply for a permit,and after months of waiting some little demigod finally grants it. These people are truly a pain to deal with here in Wmsbg. You have to have a permit for everything,and they enjoy using their little bit of power.

My wife was using denatured alcohol to make a solution of borax to coat her silver jewelry with before soldering. This prevents a layer of silver oxide from forming while you are getting it red hot for soldering with silver solder. She was getting headaches,and I thought it might be from smelling the stuff in denatured alcohol. So,I suggested 200 proof ethyl alcohol. Took her months to get the permit. She never did end up using the stuff as she found another method to prevent the silver oxide from forming while she was waiting.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-13-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Virginia had Everclear until 9/11. A cousin used to tell of his fraternity useing it in their party punch which was always mixed in a new plastic garbage can...much better than having to wash the old one.