Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Twist

Maple Twist

This vase is done in hard maple. The piece that I had in mind and almost completed was much different from this. It was to have three deep cove twists with V grove detail on the sides and then three hammered twists. Well, lets just say that while carving/sanding one of the coves I determined that coves can't be deeper than the thickness of the wall.

So...Design Opportunity. Haven't done twists before or major piercing I figured what the heck, gotta piece to practice on. I also wanted to try some more finishing. This is the result. Unfortunately the piece had some checks that I didn't pay much attention to.

Fire away!

Mark, what a nice piece! This one looks good in any position - very well done, particularly for a practice piece! You have far more patience than do I!

What color dye did you use - great color!

Wow Mark that is a beauty. Nothing to fire away about. Really nice finish and the form looks great. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    What color dye did you use - great color!
    Thanks John. This was dyed with red, blue and black. The blue and red are just some food color, so they will probably fade. I am not totally happy with the finish, but developing the technique. The dye was just applied with acid brushes. A band of red, blue and then black. Then a lighter wash of black over the whole piece. I am going to have to break out the air brush on the next one. The transition between the black and blue was more pronounced until I put on the Antique Oil. That seemed to darken it up a bit. Oh well. I will try another.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 12-08-2010 at 6:39 PM.

nicely done, has the snow gone or do you more coming????

Beautiful concept! Way to go outside the box. Like the dye job too!
    mj

Since there about 3 people here that can do that...You da Man Mark!! I wouldn't have thought to use blue with the red and black, but it sure paid off! If no one else is in on the "On my mantle please" bidding...I'll display it proudly for you!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

that is just awesome!

This is super, love it, how did you finish the bottom? Was it finished before the carving?

That is great work. I wish I could make something close to that.
    Donny

That is really nice. What do you plan to use it for? I think a candle would look nice inside of it until, of course, it caught fire!

Beautiful Mark, what are the dimensions?

Nice job Mark. Don't think ti will ever hold water, but I sure like it. If you ever have the patience for a second one, it would be interesting to see a bisecting of each support to give a total of 6 supports. Of course that would double an already tedious job, but would look cool

These spiral pieces are always so striking to me visually. That's a heck of a practice piece you made there!

Classy piece Mark

Very nice piece...good classy feel to it.
    Would love to see one about 3 to 4 times as big...would make a killer umbrella stand!
    I suspect that would push the limits of hogging material.

Nice work, very nice!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!