Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bench top planer?

Which bench top planer?

I haven't looked into these in a while because I was leaning more towards a larger floor model. Since that may be several years out though I was thinking of just breaking down a picking up a more affordable bench top planer. I know the dewalt 735 has good reviews but at $650 it seems like it is inching its way towards a Grizzly floor model. Are there any other benchtop models to consider or will they all be a bit crummy compared with the 735? I guess I'm looking at the Dewalt 734, Rigid, Delta or other possible options under $500, unless there is a particularly strong argument for just going with the 735 at $650.

I have a 735 and it suits me just fine. I bought it when they threw in the mobile stand. That's necessary in my shop because I am constantly moving things around my small space. I haven't had any problem with the 735. I typically only use cherry, soft maple and pine, so I'm not really stressing it very much.

I picked up a dw734 used for 250or 275 dollars. Is more then adequate for my uses and works well. Some of the other later lunch box planers are not as reliable then this one as the reviews have said.

I started out with the 734 before the 735 came along and it worked fine. The thing I like about the 735 is you can put a helical head in it and that is a joy to use. Otherwise you will have tearout to deal with.

After much research I decided on the Cutech 40200H-ct over the Dewalt 735. The reviews and customer satisfaction on the DeWalt were very good but I decided on the Cutech because of the "spiral" cutter as opposed to straight knives that are used on the Dewalt. With the Cutech, if one of the cutters get a chunk taken out of it or dulls over time, you merely loosen up the individual cutter head and rotate it 90 degrees to use a fresh edge; with the Dewalt you have to replace the knives. I used it recently to plane down some Poplar and it did an outstanding job. I paid $579 plus shipping for it.

I have the DeWalt 735 and have been very satisfied.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have the Dewalt 734 and I am completely happy with it. I bought it instead of a 735. I don't regret it. It has never failed to do what I needed.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Nothing wrong with the DW735, however if noise is a concern get a floor standing planer.

I had a 735 and liked it, with one exception. The HSS knives are TERRIBLE! As far as I know, there are no aftermarket knives that fit it, so you have to buy DeWalt's crappy steel. Run some hard maple and you have chipped and dull knives after 50 feet worth of passes.

Someone mentioned upgrading a 735 to a spiral head. At that point, you may as well just buy a Grizzly floor standing unit. I bought a G 0543Z several months ago, and am happy with it.

Alternatively, look for a deal on a used Delta DC-380. If you're patient they can be had for 7 or 8 hundred bucks. Totally worth the extra scratch compared to a cheaper lunchbox planer.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

DeWalt 735 is by far the most loved. Especially if you upgrade it with a helical cutter!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

That is an interesting choice on the Cutech. I hope you will have a thorough review in the future.

I have never owned or used the dewalt 735. However I do own a dewalt 734. It is a superb little planer, I use it for jobsite finish work. I would also second the opinion to look for a used DELTA DC 38O . i think that in the long run you will be happier with a full size planer,so I would not pay for a helical upgrade in a portable planer. That is just how I see it,many others really like a dewalt 735 with helical head.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I had a 735 and liked it, with one exception. The HSS knives are TERRIBLE! As far as I know, there are no aftermarket knives that fit it, so you have to buy DeWalt's crappy steel. Run some hard maple and you have chipped and dull knives after 50 feet worth of passes.
    Brian, here is one source for aftermarket knives: http://dimar-canada.com/products.php?m=56&idp=16

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    As far as I know, there are no aftermarket knives that fit it, so you have to buy DeWalt's crappy steel.
    Infinity offers replacement knives:

HSS Knives For DeWalt 735 Planer

and

Carbide Tipped Knives For DeWalt 735 Planer

An outlier's opinion

My two cents.......Seems I would be the outlier here. I have the newer Makita(2012nb) with the cutting head that moves up and down, it's a replacement for the older Makita where the cutterhead was fixed and the table moved up and down. I purchased both because they are truly portable(nice in a small shop) maybe 25-30lbs lighter than the big Dewalts. If portability is a factor I'd recommend the Makita. Blade changes are quick and easy. Dust collection requires buying an overpriced exit hood but as long as it's hooked up to a collector it works well. If I'm doing alot of planing, I'll take the planer outside and remove the hood. All the shavings land nicely in a pile for easy clean up. The finish is very good, although as with any tricky grain, switching to a set of sharp blades(I keep an extra set for this use) is a necessity as would on any other planer. Blade life is excellent and they are two sided blades. With sharp blades mounted I get about the same surface I get off my helical head jointer, also with fresh cutters. Birds eye maple is the most challenging for either tool and I still have to hand plane the final surface for zero chip out.
    No project too small or too expensive.