Thread: DC Pipe Sizes

DC Pipe Sizes

I think I'd like to go with S&D PVC for my new setup, especially since it would be the easiest to make my own gates with. I have a few unknowns to figure out. Like, what sizes does S&D PVC come. I'm sure there is 4" and 6". Anything smaller is useless, what about larger? 7"? 8"?

I have another concern as well. The inlet to the new DC is square and they supplied me with a square to 7" round coupling, if I go to PVC after that, how well do the sheetmetal fittings marry with S&D PVC. Is it too big, too small, or just right?

I believe the ASTM 2729 S&D pipe (the lightest stuff, best choice for DC ducting) only comes in 3", 4" and 6".

Even if you could find 7" or 8", I think the prices of the fittings would kill you...

The various plastic options tend to even numbers outside of occasionally being available in 3" as Dan mentioned. Don't hesitate to do a hybrid system if you want/need to have 7"/8" from your DC inlet to at least the first branch. Personally, I favor metal ducting, but I can appreciate both choices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's what I'm thinking of, but I wonder how well the pipe and fittings match. I'm thinking of a sheetmetal main with PVC gates, if they fit together.

It would be easier to adapt from metal to plastic when you go to 6", and you might have to innovate. Like maybe you need to make a bushing, or crimp the end of the metal. You can use the rubber transitions as well that are made for sewer connections to existing pipe.