Thread: Largish CD Storage Case

Largish CD Storage Case

I'm in the process of building a stereo cabinet that will hold CD/DVDs. The CD part has 5 columns to hold about 175 CDs.

I'd like the easiest method to make the slots. Would this be a router, dado stack, something else? I've seen a few jigs by Router Workshop and MLCS but I'd rather make my own.

The case will be walnut. I'd prefer to stick with wood rather then pre-built racks as this is part of an "ensemble" that I've built already.

Thanks,
    Burt

I'd make a quick & dirty crosscut sled and use a dado stack, probably just attaching it to my miter gauge. The sled would be a long plywood or MDF base with a 2x cutoff for the back. I'd attach a narrow piece of hardwood ripped to the width of my intended slot to the top of the sled after I cut it with the dado stack. The spacing between the registration strip and the stack would be the spacing I want between my slots. It would be much like a box joint jig, but with doing longer cuts. The sled bottom and back would act as zero clearance inserts decreasing tearout.