Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenon Jig versus dado blade

Tenon Jig versus dado blade

Hi
    I cut all my tenons with my Freud dado set SD508, while the dado set is excellent I am not totally happy with the tenons it cuts. I have never used a tenon jig and am wondering what people who have used both methods prefer. If you do use a tenon jig, what make and model do you think is the best. Also are tenon jigs fiddly to set up.

Many Thanks

Gil

Im looking forward to the replies as i have my eye on a Jet tenoning jig.

There is a long thread at WN about the preferred method for cutting dados. It's probably worth a read.

I have a tenoning jig and use it quite often. It's less trouble to set up than it is to change to a dado stack and make test cuts to get the height correct. When cutting a lot of tenons centered on the stock, it's definitely the way to go. It also leaves a much cleaner cheek without the cross-grain scoring of a dado stack.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Gil
    I have Delta Model Tenon Jig, I think a #183. It works exactly as it should, but I have to use a page out of a magazine, literally, to tighten it up in the miter slot.
    Delta maintains that this "slop" is intentional to facilitate bringing the material back through the blade.
    The best Tenon Jig for a TS?
    In my opinion, it would be the much older Delta Models that pop up on eBay from time to time. They weigh three times as much as Delta's current jigs, and they are big.Very stable, especially when having a larger board on end.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I would disagree with Cody...dado is easier and quicker...but tenon jig will produce better results. In addition to the cross graining rough cheek depending on how you are using the dado the thickness of the tenon can vary depending on how much pressure you exert on the board as it passes over the dado stack..which will try to lift it a bit...or if you have any slight bow. I use both. For my arts and craft stuff I use the dado stack for all the spindles. Taking them on and off the jig is too time consuming...it's easier th just rotate them 1 1/4 turn and run them through...flip and do the other end. If I'm doing tenons on the end of a rail for a table for example, I take out the jig.

I preffered using the tenon jig with a rip blade on the table saw. I eventually gave up on the table saw because I couldn't come up with a good method of guarding the blade.

I now cut my tenons on the shaper, which does a better job than the table saw, and it has better guarding and dust collection.

Regards, Rod.

Because the dado method cuts both cheek and shoulder with the same setup, it's a lot faster to get a finished tenon, IMO, than by using a tenoning jig. With a good dado set there shouldn't be enough unevenness of cut to worry about; the slight score marks caused by the outside blades won't hurt a thing when it comes to glue up.

And the dado method can cut a tenon of any length, unlike the tenon jig which is limited to your blade's maximum elevation above the table; think long tenon on a passage or exterior door rail (certainly a door rail through tenon.)

Of course, the single- or double-end tenoner owners might chime in here about how hot their machines are .

I made a couple of different tenon jigs. One was literally a right angle made of MDF that I banged together with biscuits and glue in about an hour. I ran it against my fence. Call it a proof of concept if you will. I didn't know if I was going to like the method and I didn't want to invest much in trying it. It worked, and I prefer it over my dado set. I prefer the flat cheeks and it seemed easier to tweak the fit to me. Now, there's a practical limit on the size of the board you can stand on its end, but at least for me, I think I'd prefer to lay those boards flat and use a router to cut the cheeks anyway. I ended up making a slightly more sophisticated version that had its own mitre slot runner so I didn't need to depend on my extruded aluminum fence.

Fine woodworking has a free plan for a super-simple one that could be made out of mdf in an hour or two for about $10. Search on "A Slick Tenoning Jig" on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I preffered using the tenon jig with a rip blade on the table saw. I eventually gave up on the table saw because I couldn't come up with a good method of guarding the blade.

I now cut my tenons on the shaper, which does a better job than the table saw, and it has better guarding and dust collection.

Regards, Rod.
    Rod, what sort of cutters are you using on the shaper?

10. Before I got my tenoning jig, I used a dado set.

I now have the (older version of the) Delta jig. I find it much easier to dial-in to the exact depth and width, than it was with the dado head. Blade height controls the length of the tenon, and is controlled by the blade height crank -- which can be micro-adjusted because it is a screw. Tenon thickness is controlled by jig position relative to the miter slot -- and on the Delta, that is also controlled by a screw. As a result, I can sneak up on a perfect tenon every time.

With a dado head, the tenon length is controlled by your eye, and in my case, that's just not as good.

I'm sure that others will have the opposite reaction, and that's OK, but that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by David Thompson 27577 View Post
    With a dado head, the tenon length is controlled by your eye...
    Better to use a stop on your crosscut fence, then all the tenon shoulders are even.

There are other basic options for tenoning like the Felder or similar tipped cutters stacked on a shaper that cut both cheeks simultaneously and reference off just one side of the stock. Some also use a band saw, with or without the help of a jig. The router table also offers some options, especially with an accurately positioning fence system like that done by Incra...

Pros and cons anybody?

ian

Hi, I use a carbide tipped rebate head for shorter tenons, a rip blade for deeper tenons........Rod

I have cut them on the table saw with the tendon jig, and with the dado. The last ones I cut were on the router table with the tendon jig. I think the next one will also be on the router table.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I use a carbide tipped rebate head for shorter tenons, a rip blade for deeper tenons........Rod
    Thanks- I'm a shaper convert, learning all I can.

Steve