Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are the benefits of the update on the forum?

what are the benefits of the update on the forum?

Moderators,

since the upgrade on the forum software is now showing up, what are the benefits to the posters and the readers?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, it was hoped that the new software could be installed and run "behind the scenes" for a couple of weeks to let the mods and staff get accustomed to it, but that didn't work out. So, unfortunately, we are learning along with you guys and gals!! I understand there will be several new features that were not possible on the old system, but I am not familiar with all of those, and I am sure there will be bumps in the road. But, this has been in the making for awhile, and when it all smooths out, I am sure it will be sweet! Change is never easy, and this one will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, it was hoped that the new software could be installed and run "behind the scenes" for a couple of weeks to let the mods and staff get accustomed to it, but that didn't work out. So, unfortunately, we are learning along with you guys and gals!! I understand there will be several new features that were not possible on the old system, but I am not familiar with all of those, and I am sure there will be bumps in the road. But, this has been in the making for awhile, and when it all smooths out, I am sure it will be sweet! Change is never easy, and this one will be no different.
    John,

No complaints at all........I just wondered about the differences........you know, I am one of those who like to understand how things work! I don't mind change when it benefits...........maybe this upgrade will prove to be a good one!

I am logged on but when I open a thread the photos do not show up, just a list of available photos. What do I need to do to see the photos all the time like before or will we have to click on each jpeg to see them each time?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Roger, I see them as you do. I have posted a query in the Moderators forum on this as I anticipated it would be one of the first questions. Not sure if this will be the case going forward. Thumbnails would be nice!! I will let you know in this thread when I find out. It may be awhile getting answers, as I am sure it has been a long day for Keith, Jackie and Aaron!!

Roger,

Aaron Koehl will be sharing some information about the new software upgrade ASAP. He has been working since midnight last night to get this upgrade installed, he may require a break before we hear from him.

The upgrade to vBulletin 4 is major. There are many new features, some required a significant change to the way things work behind the scenes which is why the upgrade took so long to complete. There is a new publishing side to this software that is currently turned off, we need time to make some decisions and to configure the new features. There is a new plugin for mobile access that Aaron will enable soon. You can now imbed video links, etc.

The thumbnail pictures will probably have to be turned on again, Aaron will take care of it ASAP.

Stay tuned

Thanks Keith, I look forward to all the new features when they are up and operating. BTW, I know this must have been a real endeavor labor wise..........please know that we all appreciate the fact that you maintain a forum for woodworkers of all stripes to interact with one another, and the effort it takes to keep it all going smoothly!

I am getting the same list of pictures as well. I'm able to click on them and they open up which should help you out until the fix is put in for this.
    Jack

Most upgrades are for security reasons and functionality. Without upgrades and patches, Hackers find holes in the software and can hack your server, get members info, spam people, etc.....once you get to a certain level of Software (like this vBulletin) they stop supporting it and you have to move on to a newer version, that is totally rewritten, new features, layout, security, etc...
    (Look at Windows 95, 97, 2000, XP, etc...) they only support it for so long, so you have upgrade at some point....

I like it, I need to upgrade my site sometime soon.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Thumbs up

I couldn't view the pictures the first time I went to the forum but that may have been that I needed to log in again after the update. After logging in, the pictures are great! I like what I have seen so far!!

This is not a complaint but a comment. The light blue and the finer smaller grey print is, to me, much harder to read. Good luck hope you get what you are trying to achieve.

Great forum, actually the best.

Dave

I don't really care for the upgrade. I find it is really hard to read and is busy. When you have tri-focals I find it very straining on the old eyes. Guess I will hopefully get used to it at some point. I hope.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There is a small "glitch" here that may have been present all along but I can't specifically recall. If you click on an image link without being logged in, you are redirected to a login page. After logging in, the image is displayed but there is no link back to the thread or the forum page. Attempting to use the "back" button results in one of those "are you sure" messages.
    David DeCristoforo

Bernie,

It will be at least another week before the majority of Aaron's work list is complete. There will be lots of changes, what you see now is the out of the crate design.

None of the custom programing that Aaron has done for The Creek over the last few years worked on this new version. He has to rework everything and it will take some time. The list of things to do will be done based on a priority basis, cosmetic changes will take some time.