Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Cyclone Dust Collector(s)

Smile Grizzly Cyclone Dust Collector(s)

Just received the new Grizzly catalog and they have listed new cyclones coming out this month. (also seen on their website); Good prices compared to Oneida. Has anyone heard or read anything about these Oneida clones from Grizzly? I'm about to pull the trigger on a cyclone and now I guess I have to wait until the dust settles (no pun intended) on comparison tests between Oneida and these Grizzly newcomers. Happy New Years fellas!

'Didin't know they existed (other than the one they've had for awhile) until your post. That unit did OK in the December 2003 WOOD Magazine review, but was not a top performer. Time will tell, but my guess is the vendor that has been in the cyclone business for a long time will continue to have the better product.

Oh, the filter area on the Grizzly units is pretty light...108 sq in for the 3hp unit is half of the filter area that my Onieda 2hp commercial system has. I would be concerned about that relative to back pressure. Their comparisons on the filter is also troubling...the "can" at the bottom of the Oneida filter only gets a little tiny bit of flour in it...it should NEVER have dust or chips! That tells me something about the knowlege of the vendor doing the comparison...I didn't go any farther than that in looking at the comparisons, however. I do know that the performance figures for Oneida are spot on and accurate. Other vendors don't tend to be that way.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-03-2005 at 4:56 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There's a long thread over on WoodNet. A guy from Grizzly is answering quite a few questions. I was just about to buy a cyclone. I'm going to wait a bit now.

Apparently Grizzly bought an Oneida and made head to head comparisions. They talk about the plastic bag as well as other things about the new cyclone.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta
    There's a long thread over on WoodNet. A guy from Grizzly is answering quite a few questions. I was just about to buy a cyclone. I'm going to wait a bit now.

Apparently Grizzly bought an Oneida and made head to head comparisions. They talk about the plastic bag as well as other things about the new cyclone.

Mark
    I will hold out on condeming Grizzlies cyclone design until I have more information.
    With that said, I would never rely on a company doing their own testing as being gold. Many companies have been known to lie in order to make the product they sale to look good much better then it really is.
    When one of these companies come out with the Bill Pentz design, at a fair price, only then can we be completely happy.

The more choices we have, the better products there will be at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lucas
    With that said, I would never rely on a company doing their own testing as being gold.
    Excellent point. Independent testing is important.

j,

Question...the Oneida site says the 3 hp. commercial has a 130 sq.ft. filter is that correct? If so, 108 to 130 is not that great of a difference. I'm unsure how that would effect performance from a back pressure stand point.

Grizzly said in the other thread that they just bought off the shelf bags for the filter to save money. I don't think the size of the bag has anything to do with the seperation or lack there of but someone will have to verify that when they have one operational.

The numbers listed on the Griz site look like they should be very close compared to my testing on cyclones of similar impeller sizes.

t

edit: Griz site also says they have some mechanical means of cleaning the dust from the filter. Something like the Jet paddles??? No pics yet but it sounds like a good idea.
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 01-04-2005 at 4:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Question...the Oneida site says the 3 hp. commercial has a 130 sq.ft. filter is that correct? If so, 108 to 130 is not that great of a difference. I'm unsure how that would effect performance from a back pressure stand point.
    You are correct, Terry...I was thinking of something else and this head cold isn't helping! I'm still dubious on their specs until there is some independent testing, however...and some of the comparison things they bring up really don't float my boat. No matter. Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You are correct, Terry...I was thinking of something else and this head cold isn't helping! I'm still dubious on their specs until there is some independent testing, however...and some of the comparison things they bring up really don't float my boat. No matter. Time will tell!
    j,

Agree, some of the Grizz comparison items are a bit odd. But honestly proably the same could be said for some on other's site as well.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pappagrizzly is the head of the company and he posts on woodnet. They have a few company reps over there, but this is the first CEO that posts actively that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta

Mark

They look pretty interesting.
    I looked at the comparisons to Oneida. I have to admit, I like the catch pan on my Oneida filter. The bag seems like the hokey design. Otherwise, their self serving comparison looks OK. Frankly, similar to the comparos on the Oneida site. One thing I didn't see is a performance curve comparo. To me, the most important feature.
    But, at the prices .... I would've been tempted if they had them a year and a half ago.

Another thing that interests me some is the spray booths. Seems like a pretty good price. I remember getting one of those at an old company for something like $6K.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I am encouraged by what I see. The cyclone appears to be well built (at least they are telling me it is), The impeller seems to be properly sized to provide good performance. The motor seems to be a little in question, only time will tell whether the motor can take the load. As for that plastic bag on the bottom, Many are concerned that this is a cheap way to do a clean out, but I will tell you that if the cyclone is designed properly, there will never be more than a few tablespoons of fine dust in there. As for performance, until they post the static pressure curve, noone will know how well it performs.

I am concerned that visually the cone on the cyclone appears to be too short which could severly affect the performance.
    Last edited by Jack Diemer; 01-04-2005 at 1:36 PM.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Got a friend that has one. Not quite set up yet. He set it outside, under the eave of his shop. Intake goes through the wall to it, the outlet goes back through, inside, with the filter mounted inside so he won't pump out all his heated air. Time will tell.
    Set his up so it will just dump the chips on the ground, then he will shovel them up and carry off in a wheel barrel. No bags or cans to empty.

Steve,

Not one of these. Griz has no inventory yet on these new ones. The Griz site says they will be available in Febuary.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    Pappagrizzly is the head of the company and he posts on woodnet. They have a few company reps over there, but this is the first CEO that posts actively that I am aware of.
    Rob Lee, main man at Lee Valley/Veritas, sometimes posts here and is a regular at WoodCentral.

But, all this is proof that Grizzly and other companies are listening to what is said on these forums. It seems they have at least made an attempt to provide the DCs we desire at a nice price. I like my Oneida, but the cost was tough to swallow. At this point it is the single most expensive piece of equipment in my shop (and you don't have to count the pipe).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Set his up so it will just dump the chips on the ground, then he will shovel them up and carry off in a wheel barrel. No bags or cans to empty.
    Hey Steve,

Will that work?? I've never tried such but my guess is that everything will go out the exhaust without a sealed container uner the cyclone.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]