Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, pics of my poker table...

Nice work David. Nothing is better that enjoying one of your own creations espescially when it as nice as that one. Good luck at the table.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    How did you cut out the chip holder and cup tray? Was that with a router?
    Yeah, I cut a pattern in a piece of Baltic Birch plywood and then clamped it down and used a plunge router and guide bushing to follow the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell
    ... The contrasting wood dividers are simply 1/4" strips of walnut inlaid into a 3/8" deep groove to hide the fact that the joints didn't fit together quite as perfectly as I would have liked. ...
    David,

Regardless of how they got there, the contrasting strips look like part of the original design and really add to the overall appearance.

Good work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Some day I will have one of those. Great work. I have a game from Hoyle, that I love and it is pretty realistic in the betting side. I have over $2.5M in chips through about 2 months of off and on playing of Texas Hold Em.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

5. Very Nice! A poker table is about 5th or 6th down my list of projects to make, but it may be the one I'm looking forward to the most, as it will be the most fun to use. Do you have any padding under the felt? if so, what kind?

Are you concerned with Lefties spilling their drinks with their elbows? I'm a lefty, and always noticing such things. It seems more natural to reach across your body to the right side to the drink (for a lefty). For me, it would be nice to have 2 left handed stations at the table, but it would sorta wreck the symmetry of the table. Maybe I'll make them all left handed. Bu-Ha-Ha-Ha! Take that, righties!

David, nice job and I'll raise you a quarter... Agree this is one place where poly is perfect: Heavy use, alcohol, etc. Lokks good and nice job. Enjoy it.. I'll raise another quarter.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    David, nice job and I'll raise you a quarter... Agree this is one place where poly is perfect: Heavy use, alcohol, etc. Lokks good and nice job. Enjoy it.. I'll raise another quarter.
    I'll call your bluff, Jerry, and raise you another quarter

Nice Job on the table David. I built my oak dining table with a similar design. I made the pedastal myself, and it was the most challenging part of the project. In fact, it darn near killed me when the pedestal came out of the lathe! Again, nice job! I really like the walut accented miters!
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Beautiful table!

I wonder if one of those absorbent stone (what the heck are they called?) coasters would fit into the drink holder.
    Last edited by Jim Fancher; 01-04-2005 at 2:45 PM.

Pass

Raise you another quarter....AND i could use a refill on this beer..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Henriksen
    Do you have any padding under the felt? if so, what kind?

Are you concerned with Lefties spilling their drinks with their elbows? I'm a lefty, and always noticing such things.
    The felt is wrapped around a piece of 3/4" plywood and stapled to the underside. The only padding under the top felt is another layer of the same felt held to the plywood with spray adhesive. It seems just about right.

As for the Lefties out there, currently we don't have any in our group. We were mostly concerned with knocking over drinks while dealing or raking in chips with our right hand, so opted for the drink holders on the left side. We'll see at our next poker night in a couple weeks, hosted by the guy with the other table, whether our thoughts are correct!

Blog Entries
    David, I have to add my compliments on one great job on the table. I am very interested in it as I plan on building one myself to put into my new bar room when it is done. I have been searching the web for design ideas and this one really hits most of my buttons. A couple of questions - did you have any concerns over making it a six sided table when you could concievably have a maximum of seven poker players? Also, where did you purchase the felt for your table? I understand that to go really first class, you should buy actual poker table felt 'cause it makes it much easier to slide the cards across the table and holds up much better than the stuff you can buy in a fabric store.

Again, beautiful job on the table and if you don't mind, I think I'll steal an idea or two from you when I get around to making mine.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    David, I have to add my compliments on one great job on the table. I am very interested in it as I plan on building one myself to put into my new bar room when it is done. I have been searching the web for design ideas and this one really hits most of my buttons. A couple of questions - did you have any concerns over making it a six sided table when you could concievably have a maximum of seven poker players? Also, where did you purchase the felt for your table? I understand that to go really first class, you should buy actual poker table felt 'cause it makes it much easier to slide the cards across the table and holds up much better than the stuff you can buy in a fabric store.

Again, beautiful job on the table and if you don't mind, I think I'll steal an idea or two from you when I get around to making mine.
    Fred,
    Look closer at the table. It's actually 8 sided. Made it 8-sided because we have 8 in our poker group, and depending on the game you play, you can play with 8. When we play 7-card games, we have someone sit out a hand right after dealing. Gives a chance to get beer, food, smoke break, etc. I bought the felt at JoAnn Fabric. Got the best stuff they carry for now. We will see how well it holds up. If it doesn't last too long, then I'll upgrade to poker table felt. But for now, this should do fine for my purposes. Feel free to use whatever ideas you want, and contact me anytime if you have any questions.

David, WOW! That is a sweet looking table! My cousin wants me to build him one...

Did you go by plans or did you just know what you wanted? Any tips before I start?

Smile

Very nice, now you can loss money in style!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    David, WOW! That is a sweet looking table! My cousin wants me to build him one...

Did you go by plans or did you just know what you wanted? Any tips before I start?
    Jeff,
    No plans, just kind of flew by the seat of my pants on this one. Decided on the width of each edge (24") and thickness (1 3/4" actually two 7/8" pieces laminated together), and went from there. Best tip I could give you is to at least sketch out what you want (I regret now not having done that). Also, if I were to do it again, I would rough cut the chip trays from the top piece before laminating the outside pieces. It would save a LOT of routing. Also, if you use a plunge router, use a PLUNGE BIT!! I used a regular straight bit, and it seemed to be a lot of extra effort. If you have any more questions, contact me any time, I'll be happy to help in any way possible.

Dave