Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do for Drill Bit Storage?

So what do you do for Drill Bit Storage?

Ok guys, how do you store drill bits? I’ve got hundreds, maybe a thousand it seems. In all shapes and sizes:

Vix bits
    Masonry Bits
    Counter bore bits
    Mortise Bits and Chisels
    Countersinks
    Spare Bits
    Hole Saws
    Forstner Bits
    Tapered bits
    Brad Point Bits
    Plug Cutters
    Kreg bits
    Index Bits
    Bit extensions
    A few large Auger bits
    and a few Metric bits

I have several smaller bit sets I have with various tools and in locations around the shop. I have a nice full set of indexed bits, but hundreds of ”old” jobbers bits that were given to me. Many are still good, but I just keep them in a big box. I want to add a full set of forstners as I only have about 6 now that I’ve purchased along the way. They are good quality, but I often wish I had a bigger size assortment in the shop. My mortise bits and big box of extras didn’t make the picture, but at least you guys get the idea. Right now I pack the white tool box with all it can hold, and it and most everything else go in a cabinet next to the drill press. The other various and specialty bits (carbide, mortise, etc…) go live with the appropriate tools.

My problem is while I can physically store the bits close to the drill press, they are not convenient. I also need to unstack the boxes and dig to find what I’m looking for.

So how does everyone store drill bits and accessories?

John

This picture shows the white cabinet that I store everything in next to the drill press. I also use this cabinet for saw blades, thoat plates, drill and tap set, and a couple other odds and ends. It is full and heavy.

P.S. I also have a Drill Doctor, so no real reason to have so many doubles, triples, quads, etc...

Sorry, no good ideas. I only have a fraction of that...but how do you like the Drill Doctor? Which one? I have been thinking that would keep me from accumulating too many. I just can't throw them out even though they are dull.

I cut 1 1/2" X 1" boards out of scrap pine. I then put a 3-4 degree bevel on one side. I drilled holes in them to fit each bit set and glued them to the inside of the doors.

For my brad points and fractional drills I left them in the holders with the holes but took the holders out of the case. Instead of drilling holes for each bit, I cut a slot and put the holders in the slot. This way, I can take out ta whole holder of them and have them handy at the drill to get the right fit.

I have a whole set of Fostners at 1/16 to 2 1/8 and 1/8 to 3 1/2. I made a tray for them using two MDF boards, drilled with appropriate spacing. I then put kitchen drawer sliders on them and made a moveable shelf. Probably took more time lableing the size of everything than building the holders.
    No pics yet. just got one of those digi things for Xmas and am trying to learn how to use it and download pictures into the comp.

Sounds like a bity problem to me. Get yourself 4 more drill presses and 5 or 6 portable drill motors then tell me how/where they should be stored. About the only help I can offer is to accept your extras post paid thus eliminating that portion of your pain.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

John......

Where's the sawdust????

Looks more like a museum than a shop!!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Many of my bits are loose, so I lined a drawer with 1" styrofoam insulation, covered it with packing tape, and drilled holes for the bits, in rows and columns, etc. The pink is bit annoying, but it works well. Did the same with another drawer of router bits.
    Alan

Mark,

The Drill Dr. works great, while I still have way to many drills, I can easily touch up any and I have been very pleased.

Gary,

The shop was cleaned up for "picture day" a couple years ago. It's small so I need to keep fairly organized, but I track plenty of sawdust into the house.

Thanks - John

I'm not that organized...I have mine in an old machinists bench box. But Huot is how many shops do it. It may give you some ideas.
    http://www.huot.com/index.html
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn,

Thanks, a little more $$$ then I would want to spend, but I like the idea of thin drawers. I could likely make something along those lines, or even look to a Craftsman tool box with mulitple drawers.

John

I to have the drill doctor, and it gets plenty of use. I got the 1/2" model then upgraded to the 3/4" model by getting the added larger drill bit sharpening insert.

I also have tons of bits of all types and sizes. (Up to 1" in HSS, 3 1/4" in fortsner, 1 1/2" in spade. ) On top of that, I have more then 100 router bits. So you can get an idea how important bit storage is for me with all this money invested in cutting tools.

I am still setting up and organizing my new shop. (This is taking many more months then I ever thought it would! )

My plan is to buy a few pieces of Lexan, or some other plastic like material in about 1/2" or 3/4" thick. (A nice looking white would be preferred over clear.) Then place maybe 3/4" cheap plywood in drawers under the plastic (In cabinets near the drill press, and router tables) Use standoffs where needed to raise the Lexan to an apropriate height. Drill the correct size hole through the Lexan and just slightly in to the plywood in rows and or coloumns for a nice looking storage system.

If and when I get this complete, I will post pictures. (That is, if it looks good! )
    A really good way to store HSS drill bits, is to store them with the sharp end down toward the plywood. This not only protects the cutting edge, but prevents the bits fom slipping in your hand while removing them, which can cut a finger pretty good. You could subtatute the plywood with foam insulation.

Plastic bags in a plastic drawer thingie! Yea...I need to do something about that one of these days...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Drill indexes' for my fraction, number and letter drills (I was a tool room machinist). Most of the other drills sets I've bought, forstner and brad point, I leave in the original box. However, have a regularly used drills/counter sinks/taps/forstner bits and counter sinks in a tray at the drill press.

If you think about it you too have drills and such that you use more than others. Leave then out so their ready to use when you need them. Saves time searching.

Mmmmm. Where's the design forum moderator when you need him? Given the lack of solutions presented, I'd think this was a prime opportunity for a group design project....

Jack

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Weber View Post
    Ok guys, how do you store drill bits? I’ve got hundreds, maybe a thousand it seems. In all shapes and sizes:

Vix bits
    Masonry Bits
    Counter bore bits
    Mortise Bits and Chisels
    Countersinks
    Spare Bits
    Hole Saws
    Forstner Bits
    Tapered bits
    Brad Point Bits
    Plug Cutters
    Kreg bits
    Index Bits
    Bit extensions
    A few large Auger bits
    and a few Metric bits

I have several smaller bit sets I have with various tools and in locations around the shop. I have a nice full set of indexed bits, but hundreds of ”old” jobbers bits that were given to me. Many are still good, but I just keep them in a big box. I want to add a full set of forstners as I only have about 6 now that I’ve purchased along the way. They are good quality, but I often wish I had a bigger size assortment in the shop. My mortise bits and big box of extras didn’t make the picture, but at least you guys get the idea. Right now I pack the white tool box with all it can hold, and it and most everything else go in a cabinet next to the drill press. The other various and specialty bits (carbide, mortise, etc…) go live with the appropriate tools.

My problem is while I can physically store the bits close to the drill press, they are not convenient. I also need to unstack the boxes and dig to find what I’m looking for.

So how does everyone store drill bits and accessories?

John

This picture shows the white cabinet that I store everything in next to the drill press. I also use this cabinet for saw blades, thoat plates, drill and tap set, and a couple other odds and ends. It is full and heavy.

P.S. I also have a Drill Doctor, so no real reason to have so many doubles, triples, quads, etc...
    this may or may not help you---check out pressboxstorage.com you can set this drawer or more than one on your drill press stand.

Idea

Here is what I did for mine that works pretty well. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...=drill+storage