Ok guys, how do you store drill bits? I’ve got hundreds, maybe a thousand it seems. In all shapes and sizes:

Vix bits
Masonry Bits
Counter bore bits
Mortise Bits and Chisels
Countersinks
Spare Bits
Hole Saws
Forstner Bits
Tapered bits
Brad Point Bits
Plug Cutters
Kreg bits
Index Bits
Bit extensions
A few large Auger bits
and a few Metric bits

I have several smaller bit sets I have with various tools and in locations around the shop. I have a nice full set of indexed bits, but hundreds of ”old” jobbers bits that were given to me. Many are still good, but I just keep them in a big box. I want to add a full set of forstners as I only have about 6 now that I’ve purchased along the way. They are good quality, but I often wish I had a bigger size assortment in the shop. My mortise bits and big box of extras didn’t make the picture, but at least you guys get the idea. Right now I pack the white tool box with all it can hold, and it and most everything else go in a cabinet next to the drill press. The other various and specialty bits (carbide, mortise, etc…) go live with the appropriate tools.

My problem is while I can physically store the bits close to the drill press, they are not convenient. I also need to unstack the boxes and dig to find what I’m looking for.

So how does everyone store drill bits and accessories?

John

This picture shows the white cabinet that I store everything in next to the drill press. I also use this cabinet for saw blades, thoat plates, drill and tap set, and a couple other odds and ends. It is full and heavy.

P.S. I also have a Drill Doctor, so no real reason to have so many doubles, triples, quads, etc...