Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do for Drill Bit Storage?

Some LV drawers under the DP.

Jay St. Peter

I have my Rockwell bench top radial arm drill press mounted on a metal cabinet with full extension drawers. I've taken each one and sectioned it to fit and sort drills.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Nicholson View Post
    Here is what I did for mine that works pretty well. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...=drill+storage
    I think we have a winner!

Although Larry's setup is inspirational too. Something along these lines is on my list.

Would you like to sell that, Walt? That must have taken a long time to make! Looks great. I just started drilling holes in a board this afternoon but I don't think it will look that good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Weber View Post
    Glenn,

Thanks, a little more $$$ then I would want to spend, but I like the idea of thin drawers. I could likely make something along those lines, or even look to a Craftsman tool box with mulitple drawers.

John
    Make your own. Eay for me to say.

i have a couple of drawer banks left over from a bathroom job that i use to store all my bits and blades. router bits are stored in pieces of foam with holes for the shafts, speed bore bits are stored in bank bags, twist bits and all the misc cutters are laid out in plastic trays inside the drawers for easy access and everything is labeled with my P-touch. one of the keys to efficient tooling change out is not having to spend 30 minutes looking for a particular size bit but to have it stored in such a manner that makes it quick to spot.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

My storage system is still in process and needs to be completed, but so it seems to working well for me. The drawers come out so you can carry them around the shop. The front and the back drawer sections come off so you can use the full length of the drill if you need to. Some handles will be added to make them easier to pick up or remove them.Drill Press Storage 1.jpgDrill Press Storage 2.jpgDrill Press Storage 3.jpg

Metal tool cabinets which have lots of thin drawers. Inside that, their original boxes or whatever I can find, such as lidless plastic containers rescued from the trash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Conely View Post
    I have my Rockwell bench top radial arm drill press mounted on a metal cabinet with full extension drawers. I've taken each one and sectioned it to fit and sort drills.
    Love this! Did you just route grooves into MDF?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dunn View Post
    My storage system is still in process and needs to be completed, but so it seems to working well for me. The drawers come out so you can carry them around the shop. The front and the back drawer sections come off so you can use the full length of the drill if you need to. Some handles will be added to make them easier to pick up or remove them.Drill Press Storage 1.jpgDrill Press Storage 2.jpgDrill Press Storage 3.jpg

I really like your level of organization Larry. Well done. I prefer that level of organization because I just tend to forget where stuff is and I need that crutch to help me NOT waste time constantly looking for things.

My system is a bit like Larry's, except my drill press is against a wall, and the cabinet is made with horse shoe shaped drawers, with a matching cab top. It is pretty deep, and some drawers are divided into three sections, long on both sides, short in the middle (ergo horse shoe). Mine was featured in WoodSmith mag Feb. 2000, issue 127, if you have it.

They built theirs a bit different than mine. Mine is all drawers, no shelves, and deeper than theirs. Mine is also made of scraps left over from a dog house, nothing fancy, but you could customize the drawer depth to get six to eight in the space allowed, easy. I have four in mine, and two are fairly deep to hold drill motors and jigs. I have a lot of bits too, and they fit in two drawers.

I will try to take pics later today. If you happen to have WoodSmiths back issue library, the easy way to find it is to enter 'Richard Potter'.

Rick Potter

Recently retired as a commercial construction superintendent, occasionally I would be called upon to do something when a carpenter was not available. I carried around a small amount of tools for commercial door installation and things of that nature. I kept the tools in the back of the company pickup truck in one of those aluminum boxes (when I was not out of town of course),. Compacting and categorizing tools into small organized packages was essential as I had very little room. I decided to change out and make my own woodwork as I did not like the styles that were commercial available without special ordering it. I don't have the facilities to store a whole house of doors and woodwork, so the only thing left was to make it. What I found was my methods of organization used for an 'on the move' situation did not work. And with the additional tools I picked up to do the work I just had no room, and that system did not work well at all. I am only a member of this site. I have incorporated a lot of different ideas into something that works with the stuff I have laying around and of course my situation. Needless to say I have taken a lot ideas from not only this site, but others. So its time for me to try to give something back. Please bear in mind that I am not a carpenter or anything affiliated with that trade at all. I have yet to make any woodwork or start any of the projects I am going to attempt in the future. My primary function has been to convert my garage into a garage - workshop, and still be able to get the vehicles in it. I will be sure to visit this site often in the future as begin the woodwork creating and installation process, as well as the cabinetry and other things on my plate that I plan to do in the future. To sum it up; I have no idea what I am doing and am going to need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sontag View Post
    I think we have a winner!

Although Larry's setup is inspirational too. Something along these lines is on my list.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...=drill+storage

Wow!!!! Simply, wow!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

John,

I don't see any pictures
    Epilog EXT 40 watt, Legend 24TT 45 watt, Corel 3X, Deckel pantographs, Meistergram 18-28 (2)

Larry, what is that in the back of the Drill Press, a VFD?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.