Thread: setting up shop

setting up shop

I like to thank every one who replied to my previous post, it was all very helpful.

so it looks like Im going to be using a friends garage space for my shop set up. the garage is about 24'x24' , im up grading elect for about $1000 (100 amp panel with new feed line) there is no heat but there is a place to put a wood stove.

Ive done a simple lay out of all the tools and it looks as if there is plenty of work space. Im grouped the table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, ras & cms in a clockwise circle on the right side of the space. I put milling machines against the left wall with a workbench in the middle. there is a little open space across the front of the garage for assembly and a wood rack. I have about 3' of space between most objects where ill be moving product back and forth. Im planning on having rolling bases on most of the machines for better versatility.

I know with out seeing a pic this mite be hard to visualize... but if any body has insight as what works in there shops it would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

The mobile bases will be important. We are in 4000sq' thats for wood storage, shop, bathroom, office area, and a small space (about 18x18) for a future gallery/retail space. The shop space itself is approximately 32x40 (guessing) and its very tight when you get work. 24x24 will be challenging at times especially if you get a kitchen or a job with any quantity cabinetry. It will be cozy, an at that size the woodstove will help. We have a stove in our shop but the building isnt extremely tight and it doesnt touch it on cold days. We have gas Modine/Reznor style heaters for heat.

Mark

Blog Entries
    Jed, I would strongly recommend that you consider making the majority of your tools mobile. Also, mobile base cabinets are another optimization. A lot of garage shops try to pack in as many tools as possible and the net effect is that the shop is crowded and each tool is a pain to use. By making the tools mobile you can keep them all off to one side and pull out each tool (or set of tools like a jointer and planer) as it is needed. This has the added benefit of easier to plan and cost effective ductwork and electrical circuits.

If you are going to make and finish furniture I would try and find room for a small finishing room - at least 6' X 10' with heat and humidity control. Then you can finish pieces and still make dust in the rest of the shop.

can you provide a link to the other thread you referenced? It might help us from rehashing old info. Are you setting up a hobby shop or are you trying to make a living? I would never set up shop in a friend's garage. I would set up a hand tool shop in a spare bedroom before doing that. It's a huge inconvenience not to live where your shop is.

uuuhhh http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=6788.......did that work? so im setting the shop up for work, I currently sub frame to finish and want to branch out a little more. as the economy improves and the shop becomes self sustaining ill move to a larger industrial location... I felt that taking a large rental agreement out now would be high risk

The link didn't work. I've seen a lot of people make the same move and lose a lot of money. If you're successful at what you're doing, branching out may not be the best move. Specializing is usually the better move. Investing money to tool up for something you are going to do part time doesn't make sense. You are better off subbing out what you can't/don't do now. Woodworking shops generally go out of business. Cabinet shops do ok if they are run well. Just my 2 cents.

im up grading elect for about $1000 (100 amp panel with new feed line) there is no heat but there is a place to put a wood stove.
    Smart move. I wish I'd done that 4 years ago.
    Lights and electrical outlets are #1 and #1a - what I'd recommend to anyone just getting into WW'ing as the first step/thing to buy.

2nd would be a good straight edge.

3rd would be a good square.

4th would be a good flat surface @ least 3'x6' with a lip around the perimter that you can use a clamp to hold things in place - a plus would be if it tilted so you could use it as a drafting table.
    4a - a good stool or high chair to sit in.

5th would be either a good shop vac or a DC & a bench brush.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-14-2010 at 7:12 AM.

You'll have to put most things on mobile bases. It sucks, but with <600 sq/ft your options are pretty slim, and you'll run outta space pretty quickly. Being able to pack things into a corner will be a god send when you need it.

I started with ~1400 sq/ft and it took a couple years to fill that up, but at the end it was just un-workable. I moved into ~2400 sq/ft a few months ago, and I'm already wondering if I should have looked for more space. But if I rent more space, it makes more sense for me to build than it does to rent.

Here's a link to a thread on my new shop and how everything came together.

Quote Originally Posted by bradley strong View Post
    can you provide a link to the other thread you referenced? It might help us from rehashing old info. Are you setting up a hobby shop or are you trying to make a living? I would never set up shop in a friend's garage. I would set up a hand tool shop in a spare bedroom before doing that. It's a huge inconvenience not to live where your shop is.
    I agree, thats a good to lose a friend, and money and tools
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired