Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball within a ball

Ball within a ball

Several weeks ago someone posted a link to a video showing sphere's that this gentleman had turned, and he had turned a ball within a ball. Several of them had finials connected to the inner ball and protruded out through the outer ball. There were even some pictures of the process he used to achieve this. These were awesome turnings, but I watched the video once and then could never find it again. The challenge for our club this month is "sphere's" so I thought I would do what I could from memory sans the finials. The result is below. It's birch and about 4" round the inner ball is still connected in a couple spots because I liked the look of it still being suspended. The inner ball is also pretty rough but I am still happy with it for a first, considering the only hollowing tool I have is a bent and ground allen wrench. If anyone knows the video I am talking about and has a link I would sure appreciate it. C&C always welcome.

Picture017Large.jpgPicture018Large.jpg

I love these. I spent a few weeks in Dresden for work a few yours ago and went and visited "The Green Vault" which is a museum that exhibits pieces from all sorts of different German kings. Anyway, they have a huge collection of these, with some of them going 11 or 12 layers deep.

I've always wanted to turn one, but have never seen the process.

I don't have much more than a vague idea about how you might have done that but it definitely is impressive!

Very nice work. Can I assume that the inner ball is created one segment at a time using multi-positioned mountings and working through a hole on the tailstock end?

Very cool and I want to see the demo video. I have been admiring this form for some time, but have only a vague idea of the process involved.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Really impressive work, Brian!! I just don't think I have the patience for this! Would be fun to watch someone do it, however.

David Springett has a book on creating these and other intricate turnings, called "Woodturning Wizardry".

You have to be veeeeerrrrry accurate on your layout and execution....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Probably done by Fred Holder. Fred has a book out on what he calls the Chinese Ball. He actually turns 5 balls in a ball. Fred publishes the woodturning publication called More Woodturning.

Wally

Excellent. You have done very well on these. I have always been intrigued by the ancient "Chinese Puzzle Balls". They are done in ivory and very intricate. I think Craft Supply sells the Springett tools for doing this type of work.

That is very impressive. I would love to see a tutorial on how this is done.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Here was a video on balls:

Brain, very nice, the vortex is strong and i believe ya may be going closer to the center

Bill, thanks for sharing the vedio

Brian, that is very very cool!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone for the responses! Bill Edwards posted the video that I remember seeing. Thanks Bill I looked all over for it! Unfortunately I must have web surfed from there to somewhere else that I saw a video showing some of the techniques (it was probably even a different turner). I will keep looking though as I remember it showed some of the tools that he used, some of them being made from wood chisels.

Wow, that is very cool, but like John replied the patience would be quite demanding and well I barely have enough for sanding.